I wounder.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wounder.....

Something just crossed my mind here the other day.
    When I first was first introduced to OX it was in 0.7.x days, so its some time ago, then it was alots writen that Netline was co working with Novel, that is SUSE

Then last year it was some breaking news that Netline and Redhat was co working

And with the release of OX6, Ubuntu is the prefered distro.

Tronn

Ok, i try to keep it simple and correct:

First we started with our own full Linux system called Comfire. We made the distribution and the groupware but it was hard to maintain and hard to support.
    So we asked SUSE and they said: "cool, you make the groupware and we bring the system". That was called SLOX.
    Then Novell came and we didn't like the new way of whole Linux focus they made. So we made the decision to make the groupware as independent as possible so you can use it with every system. That was the first OX.
    However, you still can't support every linux distri out there so we focused on Novell Linux and Redhat linux because these two are very big in the Linux marked.

And now when you say Ubuntu then this is only for the Community Version and not for OX5. OX5 is still available for Redhat and Novell Linux. The decision to focus on Ubuntu is because we think Ubuntu is a pretty cool distri. It is easy to install, easy to use and it works just great. Of course, everybody has his own favorites but this time we focus on Ubuntu. We also discovered that a lot of our users were totally new to Linux and this also a big advantage for Ubuntu: it is easy so use for a newbie.

Correct me if i made something wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Pahne View Post
      Ok, i try to keep it simple and correct:

First we started with our own full Linux system called Comfire. We made the distribution and the groupware but it was hard to maintain and hard to support.
      So we asked SUSE and they said: "cool, you make the groupware and we bring the system". That was called SLOX.
      Then Novell came and we didn't like the new way of whole Linux focus they made. So we made the decision to make the groupware as independent as possible so you can use it with every system. That was the first OX.
      However, you still can't support every linux distri out there so we focused on Novell Linux and Redhat linux because these two are very big in the Linux marked.

And now when you say Ubuntu then this is only for the Community Version and not for OX5. OX5 is still available for Redhat and Novell Linux. The decision to focus on Ubuntu is because we think Ubuntu is a pretty cool distri. It is easy to install, easy to use and it works just great. Of course, everybody has his own favorites but this time we focus on Ubuntu. We also discovered that a lot of our users were totally new to Linux and this also a big advantage for Ubuntu: it is easy so use for a newbie.

Correct me if i made something wrong here.
      Thanks Ben for clearing this out for me. Ubuntu seams to be very popular now adays, I thought about give it a try, but I'm still working on my Redhat based distros, I've done that since someone stuck a redhat CD in my hand back in 1995

Tronn

Comment

Working...
      X