X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Kauss
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by neo View Post
    A few minutes ago I had a little discussion with a friend and he told me something about zimbra.
    This groupware has an offline tool (I didn't check that in detail).

Well, it came to my mind that this would be a nice feature. But how to realise?
    After a while there are many documents in the infostore/documents, many contacts (ok, could be synced with a fat client) and so on.

What do you think about such a feature?
    Is it possible ?

First of all: yes, this is possible. The next question is what do you want to archive with such a feature? This would mean to have the full capabilities on the client ... and this is a little bit tricky with the features offered by OX if you think about
    - permissions
    - document
    - sharing

OX offers the protocols for the basic stuff today, because of the technology used by the Outlook OXtender. This means a lightweight solution can be developed (relatively) fast if only normal PIM objects are stored on the client ...

Greetings,

Martin Kauss

Leave a comment:

• Rene Stach
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by neo View Post
    A few minutes ago I had a little discussion with a friend and he told me something about zimbra.
    I think they have implemented a small webserver and database backend on the desktop and when the users go online again all data is synchronized. An offline tool is interesting, but to be honest, I myself don't need it. In the office and at home I am online all time so I myself do not see a benefit for an offline tool.

René

Leave a comment:

• neo
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
    The Offline Mode of Zimbra lets the WebGUI work in "serverless" mode. I suppose everything is cached somewhere while the client is offline and will be re-synchronised when it comes online again. Like Rondrian wrote - i do not think this is a high-priority feature. It is nice to have, but if you travel a lot you will have the possibility to use OX via Outlook or a mobile device in "offline mode" - so for me this is kind of a eyecatcher function.

Yep, I agree.
    It's a nice to have but not high prio.
    As I wrote, it could be a lot of data to store offline, otherwise it doesn't make sense to have an offline tool

And like rondrian wrote, there will be Internet almost everywhere and the prices decreases.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Heiland
    replied
    The Offline Mode of Zimbra lets the WebGUI work in "serverless" mode. I suppose everything is cached somewhere while the client is offline and will be re-synchronised when it comes online again. Like Rondrian wrote - i do not think this is a high-priority feature. It is nice to have, but if you travel a lot you will have the possibility to use OX via Outlook or a mobile device in "offline mode" - so for me this is kind of a eyecatcher function.

Leave a comment:

• Rondrian
    Guest replied
    I know this zimbra feature, you are talking about.
    But also not in detail.

Hmmm... off-line capabilities.
    IMO that is not that important, because internet is almost everywhere and it will become all over. Mobile clients are booming. As i know, you can have internet ins some planes,today.

But do others think?

Leave a comment:

• neo
    Guest started a topic Offline tool

Offline tool

Well, it came to my mind that this would be a nice feature. But how to realise?
    After a while there are many documents in the infostore/documents, many contacts (ok, could be synced with a fat client) and so on.

What do you think about such a feature?
    Is it possible ?
Working...
X