Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX6SE and MySQL with Cyrus and Postfix

Hi,

I'ld like to install Open-Xchange 6 SE on a SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10.
    In the Wiki I've found a great HowTo refering to this installation (http://www.open-xchange.com/wiki/ind...Edition_SLES10).
    For imap I will use cyrus, the mta will be postfix.

The OX-User I'll create with "createuser" like written in the howto.
    The mailboxes I'll create with cyrus.
    For a lower complexibility Cyrus and Postfix should authenticate the OX-user by using the mysql-database which will be created by processing the how to.

I'm not familar with authentication, are there somewhere hints or can you help me what is to do, that cyrus and postfix can authenticate an user successfully with the mysql-database?

And an other question: is there any way I can create the mailboxes automatically when I create a new user?

thank you for helping me

I have the same problem

Hey Phönix

Did you receive an answerfor your problem ?

Comment

Hey,

I do facing the same problems as you both. It's the same ******** like allways with Open-Xchange Inc. They claim to have good products, but when you try to test them/install them your facing their buggy installers. We started with Open-Xchange 5 in the year 2004 (or 2005?). I can write a little book about the bugs,problems and workarounds we did. It has never been changed since I know Open-Xchange, they do have a good product, but they don't produce it stable. They're just creating new products every time, that nobody really needs, I do remember the Samba OX 5 Connector for example. The same goes for the OX 6 Server, instead of producing a stable and relieable server software, they're creating the new Application Server.
      I don't get the OX 6 running yet. I spent like 4 hours on fiddling out, on how to configure the Cyrus on SLES10 to get it work with the OX6, no success so far. I liked the idea with the software repository for OX6, it was a very easy and smooth setup until i came to the imapd setup. I don't get why they made it so complicated. Its a complete ******** to say "we are open for a hugh amount of imapd (like cyrus,dovecot, whatever), like I read somewhere in this forum. Keep it plain and simple.

We are a paying customer (I think ~ 800 bucks a year), and I have a feeling that we gotta move away from Open-Xchange Servers, if they don't fix those problems.

Regards

J.Mueller-Lahn
      Last edited by Martin Heiland; 11-25-2008, 05:07 PM. Reason: fixed inappropriate language

Comment

Hi J.Mueller-Lahn,

maybe it's not OX SE, which you want or need, but OX AE?

OX SE is the plain OX application, which allows to integrate into existing environments. This is what many customers demanded in history. Many people already have existing IMAP servers or directory services and don't want to migrate them into new installed GW services.

For everybody, for whom this is to complicated, there ist OX AE, which includes all this stuff, IMAP, Directory, ... and you don't need to do the work yourself.

Comment

Hey,

this is definatly NOT what I want. I understand that you can choose your imapd,ldapd, ...! No problem at all, but you have a simple-setup-guide for SLES,RHEL,.. Thats okay so far, but why not explain how to simply setup a impad that you suggest!? The OX AE is to overloaded and I don't like Univention Servers at all. OX AE is the all-in-one-box, for people that don't have DHCP,DNS,... I just need a easy to setup and relieable groupware server. Don't get me wrong, im working on *unix since 15 years, and do have the knowlede how run a imapd for my own, but I can't figure out to get it working with OX SE. And even tho, I'm not willing to spent 3 days for testing and developing for a paid product that I want to update.

Regards,

J. Müller-Lahn

Comment

I got it working so far. I just reinstalled my whole SLES 10 server, and did the SLES setup like on the old SLES9 for OX5. It's important to have the system authentication based on ldap (look at the installationmanual for OX5). Afterwards you can install yast2-mailserver, he will complain about conflicts, just uninstall yast2-mail. Afterwars restart yast2, and you can setup Mailserver below network services in yast. Be sure, that you have cyrus imapd installed allready. Setup yast2-mailserver that its uses cyrus imapd. Now create a systemuser in ldap with yast, make sure that you use the same password for the user, that you gonna use with "/opt/open-xchange/sbin/createuser". You can setup an empty home dir and as loginshell "/bin/false" to deny logins for ssh for that user. Now its possible to login to the cyurs impad with the user.

This way worked for me so far, I don't know if the best way. But the easiest so far.

Best regards

J.Mueller-Lahn

Comment

Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

I got your point, and we will see to generate some more HowTos.

Stephan

Comment

Btw. if you want to synchronise users between SLES10 LDAP and OX, maybe the following scripts can do that job for you:

Comment

I don't need/want ldap for SLES10 and OX6. The yast2-mailserver just requires it. If you have a SLES 10 installation and you install yast2-mailsever, he tells you that you need to create the default config for ldap within the ldap-client of yast2. I tried to get it working for ~ 2-3 hours, without success. So I decided to make a clean fresh ldap based SLES10 installation.

Comment

Hi,
                    using SLES10 with LDAP based install is exactly what OX recommends for proper operation.
                    Stephan

Comment

Working...
                    X