how to change ip in the command line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to change ip in the command line

Sorry if this has been posted before. The search engine kept telling me my search term was less than 4 words!

Anyway, could some kind person please tell me how to change the OpenXchange IP in the command line?

I've installed the VMWare virtual machine version on a Red Hat Enterprise 5 Linux box, VMware Server 2, and can't get to it via the described method in the attached readme text file. Therefore it would seem easier simply to change the IP at the command line, and reboot OX.

Thanks.

James.

Can be changed in /etc/network/interfaces

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel.

That got me to the OX login screen, but upon entering oxadmin and password, I am presented with the error, "Error code: Excepton creating connection to: 192.168.1.100; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable (SVL-001,-1596673653-7).

To my untrained eye, that looks as though another part of the system - something to do with the java stuff? - needs to be told the new IP also.

The login screen still shows the old IP, but running ifconfig shows eth0 to be on the new, and it is possible to ping the rest of the network. Therefore the networking side is OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

James.

Comment

Hi,

just try to restart both open-xchange services after changing the IP address, they don't know anything about the new address until they're restarted. Hope that helps.

Greetings

Comment

Hi Martin

Thanks for yours. I wasn't sure what the services you referred to were, so I did a full re-boot. During the boot I noted "open-xchange-admin" and "open-xchange-groupware" starting, so assumed these are the ones. The command line login still reports the old IP, 192.168.1.100.

After login, ifconfig shows that eth0 is happily running at the new IP 10.0.0.10; broadcast 10.0.0.255; mask 255.255.255.0. I also attempted to restart the open-xchange services, but couldn't figure out the syntax, so gave up, although I can't see that that would have any different result to a reboot.

Attempting to login as oxadmin in the browser still presents me with the same message as before: "Error code: Excepton creating connection to: 192.168.1.100; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Network is unreachable (SVL-001,-1596673653-7)."

I still feel something else needs changed at the command line, but what? As I said before, the error message is pointing towards something in Java script.

Thanks again.

James.

Comment

A WORKAROUND

This is a posting for anyone else who finds this an issue. This is my workaround, since I gave up waiting for further information:

- download VMware for Windows and install it onto your Windows XP box (it will complain, but work for our purposes here)
            - import the OX vmx stuff into the Windows VM installation
            - changed my box's IP to match
            - logged in as oxadmin, and changed the networking via a browser and told it to reboot (it wasn't happy without a reboot), then shut it down
            - moved all the vm files to my vm area on my RHEL 5 box and imported OX there

This works (or it did for me!), but I feel that the OX testing may not have been 100% with this.

I feel I should add that, eventhough I have only had OX running for a few hours in a trial, I have experienced a few hiccups that have given me concern.

I hope someone, at least, will find this information of use.

James.

Comment

Working...
            X