Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to install java6 (phossal howto is down)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to install java6 (phossal howto is down)

So, this howto should work. I tried it yesterday and it works now. It could be that you have to leave out the "" at update-alternatives. I cant try at the moment because im not @work.
    Maybe someone can edit the wiki.

1) Download the jdk-6-linux-i586.bin from http://java.sun.com to the deskto

2) chmod +x jdk-6-linux-i586.bin

3) .\jdk-6-linux-i586.bin

4) mv jdk1.6.0 /usr/lib/Java6

5)
    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/java" 1
    update alternatives --set java /usr/lib/Java6/bin/java
    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/javac" 1
    update alternatives --set javac /usr/lib/Java6/bin/javac
    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javaws" "javaws" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/javaws" 1
    update alternatives --set javaws /usr/lib/Java6/bin/javaws
    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/apt" "apt" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/apt" 1
    update alternatives --set apt /usr/lib/Java6/bin/apt

6) Test the installation

java -version
    javac -version
    ant
    apt
    Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM.

thx but the howto from http://phossal.com/thread?view=702216931 describe howto install Java 6 on ubuntu from the bin file.
    And that is what i want.

Comment

Originally posted by altariq View Post
      thx but the howto from http://phossal.com/thread?view=702216931 describe howto install Java 6 on ubuntu from the bin file.
      And that is what i want.
      The topic is "Install it the Ubuntu way" or "Install it the Debian way". They only describe the way you can install it. This has nothing to do with the system at all. Ubuntu comes from Debian at it is nearly the same so it is only a "religion" thing about the way you install java. They work all on a Ubuntu System.

Comment

hmm okay the was very easy but okay.

Here is my error:

/tmp/make-jpkg.OeVMU13842
        Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk-doc.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk-doc.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

No matching plugin was found.
        Removing temporary directory: done

2 hours now for installing simple java....

Comment

hmm okay the was very easy but okay.

Here is my error:

/tmp/make-jpkg.OeVMU13842
          Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk-doc.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk-doc.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

No matching plugin was found.
          Removing temporary directory: done

2 hours now for installing simple java....

Where is your JAVA isntalled and did you have JAVA_HOME variable set and is "javac" in your path? ($JAVA_HOME/bin)

Comment

I'm confused.

I have no java installed, thats why im trying to install it. In the wiki there is a link to a nice howto which is unfortunatly down.

I make a complete new install of ox to have no errors. Or better i try to get no errors. and this in the next 1 hour -.-

Comment

I also found this in the Ubuntu Forum:

There are a lot of JDK Tutorials.

This comes close to the phossal's tutorial:
              Ubuntuers - I'm switched my Linux flavor from Fedora to Ubuntu and am have a few issues finding packages. I installed Java 5 which went well using the command sudo apt-get install sun-java5-jdk I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet for Java 6 but couldn't find a java 6 package. Here are the steps I used to install. download java from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp cd to dowload directory

Comment

Okay, with the 2. howto it works fine. I had to add a few more commands but it works. This evening or tomorrow i will post it here so we can add it to the wiki because i think that is the best way to install the new java6

Comment

Okay, with the 2. howto it works fine. I had to add a few more commands but it works. This evening or tomorrow i will post it here so we can add it to the wiki because i think that is the best way to install the new java6
                  Let's hope the old phossal side comes back online. Otherwise we will steal the tutorial and store it in our wiki.

Comment

So, this howto should work. I tried it yesterday and it works now. It could be that you have to leave out the "" at update-alternatives. I cant try at the moment because im not @work.

5)
                    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/java" 1
                    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/javac" 1
                    update alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javaws" "javaws" "/usr/lib/Java6/bin/javaws" 1

6) Test the installation

java -version
                    javac -version
                    ant
                    apt

Comment

phossal.com

Hi Guys. I repaired those threads at Ubuntu Forums which had inspired phossal.com. Once I realized how useful phossal.com could be, I considered how little time I had to devote to it, and decided to remove that site completely. Like most of you, I have other projects I want to work on.

Material like that is much better displayed in quality forums like OPEN-XCHANGE and Ubuntu Forums.

Regards.

-------------
                      Install Java's JDK and Eclipse for Performance and Ease
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2007, 09:07 AM.

Comment

5)

6) Test the installation

java -version
                        javac -version
                        ant
                        apt
                        For the record, it is: ...update-alternatives --install... , using the dash.

Comment

Working...
                        X