Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice request - correct information PLEASE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice request - correct information PLEASE?

Dear people,

I'm asking for some correct and up-to-date information:

What happened?
    1. I tried using the opensuse installer - managed to get OX CE installed, but not functioning...
    -> received advice to test on debian type - /ubuntu / debian Etch
    2. Did complete virgin install on Ubuntu 7.10 - managed to get OX CE installed, again not working correctly.
    Found that several packages were missing (amavis, procmail, spamassassin, clamav, SASL auth, TLS (just out of memory)
    3. Concluded that most of the missing packages were intended ( at least to my limited knowledge) to function together with Postfix.
    4. Did again a virgin install, arranged to have Postfix up and running with above packages (grossly), then let the OX CE installer run
    this time Debian Etch, used this installer:
    http://213.239.220.146/~mbraun/ox/de...debian_etch.sh
    with this package:
    http://213.239.220.146/~mbraun/ox/de...an_etch.tar.gz
    -> Again, no luck, not functioning.

Could you please give me correct information:
    I am in great doubt;
    As far as I understood using the above mentioned installer, all packages should be installed by the install script, and the script should take care of complete installation

I do realize that you can also execute each part of the script step by step, as described here:
    http://www.open-xchange.com/wiki/ind...e_Installation
    I HAVE NOT FOLLOWED THIS ROUTE YET

What am I doing wrong?
    During install I choose the stable version
    Which way to go to come to a working OX CE?
    I know it is possible, and I now that it is me doing something wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Erwin

Hi Erwin,

the installer still works like intended. As far as i can tell for the debian/ubuntu script, it does not install amavis, procmail, spamassassin, clamav etc. It installs as much you need to have a groupware up and running, nothing more, it's no replacement for the express edition. However, adding those package should be as easy as apt-get install them, there are vast of information on the net about configuring spamassasin, clamav and others.

To track down the issues you've got - what exactly did not work, what do the logfiles say?

Greetings.

Comment

install experience

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for answering again;
      As far as I can tell the install script works good, I can login as admin, I can login as testuser and I can create users.

(Upon creation of a user, its homedir is created under /home/userdir, but is this user also created (and is this necessary?) on the underlying system?)

Where it goes wrong is allways sending and receiving mail:
      Mostly I get warnings in the log about authentication, also the non-existence of CA certificate and such.

Therefore I concluded that I would FIRST need a system with a working POSTFIX / CYRUS with ...??... on it and then run the installer script.
      Is this correct?

If yes, can you provide or show a link to what is optimally required to have a harmoniously working system? This is for testing purposes at the moment, so I don't really have the need for fancy security, allthough this is off course interesting to learn about.

I think my biggest problem lies in the system being on a port 25 blocked ISP.
      As already written I make use of no-ip to redirect to port 2525.
      This works allright, to the point if I look at tail -f /var/log/mail.log where I see the no-ip server trying to connect (also veryfied using iptraf).
      But then it just won't connect. (CONNECTION LOST)
      So I have a feeling this may have to do with wrongly set authentication files?

Is there any way to observer where these incoming packets should be located? Is it then postfix not picking up the packets and distributing them to IMAP?

Thanks for your advice!

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Lexje View Post
        (Upon creation of a user, its homedir is created under /home/userdir, but is this user also created (and is this necessary?) on the underlying system?)
        Those home directories are necassary to store settings of services which are user specific. There are no system user accounts of the groupware users on your system.

Mostly I get warnings in the log about authentication, also the non-existence of CA certificate and such.
        Did the installer threw any errors about the SSL Certificate creation? It's created at the admindaemon initialization part.

Therefore I concluded that I would FIRST need a system with a working POSTFIX / CYRUS with ...??... on it and then run the installer script. Is this correct?
        This is not correct, the installer will setup and configure a postfix/cyrus environment for you. Overwriting the previous configuration by the installer may lead to severe problems. A virgin Ubuntu installation does not install postfix neither cyrus.

I think my biggest problem lies in the system being on a port 25 blocked ISP.
        As already written I make use of no-ip to redirect to port 2525.
        Ugly stuff, blame your provider
        Seriously... this may require some addition postifx configuration, it possible, try to set it listening to 25 AND 2525, then you don't have to reconfigure local users. I am also not sure if the sending E-Mail Server supports such port redirects and if there could be any problems.

Is there any way to observer where these incoming packets should be located? Is it then postfix not picking up the packets and distributing them to IMAP?
        Well, SMTP is for sending/receiving mail, IMAP is for managing mailboxes. Postfix receives incoming mail and puts them to the same directory where Cyrus points the mailbox to. So yes - if the mail got blocked or not delivered successfully it'll not show up anywhere on the system.

Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
          Did the installer threw any errors about the SSL Certificate creation? It's created at the admindaemon initialization part.
          I have noticed no special errors.
          What is the default location for the install.log?

This is not correct, the installer will setup and configure a postfix/cyrus environment for you. Overwriting the previous configuration by the installer may lead to severe problems. A virgin Ubuntu installation does not install postfix neither cyrus.
          This is what I tried first, but then discovered the missing packages.
          Would it be safe then to first do this:
          Code:
           Cyrus IMAP Server

The Open-Xchange groupware server supports a wide range of common IMAP servers, but the Administration server is limited to the Cyrus IMAP Server when it comes to mailbox management. To avoid problems here, it is a good advice to use the Cyrus IMAP Server.

$ apt-get install cyrus-imapd-2.2 cyrus-admin-2.2 sasl2-bin libpam-mysql libnss-mysql-bg

[edit] Postfix SMTP Server

To receive E-Mail, a SMTP service is required. Postfix is always a good choice and we will configure virtual mailboxes via the database later. If the postfix installation routine prompts for a configuration, just select "No Configuration" for now.

$ apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql

Ugly stuff, blame your provider
          Seriously... this may require some addition postifx configuration, it possible, try to set it listening to 25 AND 2525, then you don't have to reconfigure local users. I am also not sure if the sending E-Mail Server supports such port redirects and if there could be any problems.
          I realize this;
          Is it then okay to just copy the first 2 lines from /etc/postfix/master.cf, and just change smtp to 2525 in one of both set of lines?

Well, SMTP is for sending/receiving mail, IMAP is for managing mailboxes. Postfix receives incoming mail and puts them to the same directory where Cyrus points the mailbox to. So yes - if the mail got blocked or not delivered successfully it'll not show up anywhere on the system.
          This leaves me with the greatest doubt:
          when tailing /var/log/mail.log as said I see the no-ip server connect.
          To me this proves that firewall settings and such are correct.
          But it just disconnects...
          Which says me that some 'setting' is wrong...
          Using the no-ip test, I get something like:
          220 No correct answer (out of memory, I'll correct when connected again with the server)
          Where to look for a solution to this??

Hope that helps a bit.[/QUOTE]
          Every bit helps, thanks.
          Will get there, I hope sooner than later

Comment

Working...
          X