Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 does not work

Hi,

I installed Hyperion 6_4_2 on openSUSE 10.3 with the installer 0.2.4, set up a user and tried to check his mailbox with Outlook Express on a Windows XP computer. Every time when I check the mailbox the login dialog pops up and demands the credentials. I have double checked them.

If I test the mailbox with testsaslauthd the command returns OK "Success." If I test the mailbox with pop3test I get the error message

saslauthd[3837]: DEBUG: auth_pam: pam_authenticate failed: Permission denied
    saslauthd[3837]: do_auth : auth failure: [user=root] [service=pop] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]<servername>
    I tried the solutions of other "Permission denied" errors in this forum but they have no effect here.
    Desparated and no idea. Please help.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2008, 11:50 AM.

Now I can login successfully with both testsaslauthd and pop3test. I changed the /etc/pam.d/impap , pop and sieve files from host=localhost to host=...mysql.sock, rebooted and changed them back and now at least these two commands work. I don't see a real change. It is a bit disturbing that there seems to be an instability here to some extend.

But the mail-checks with Outlook Express still don't really work. Now I see that the pop3 part of cyrus was preconfigured with a LOGIN-DELAY what is set to 60 second, what we never needed in the past, what we don't want and what is very annoying. This forces the user to wait a minute before he can check or send email again. Almost all websites containing logs with this parameter show that this value is almost always preconfigured with 0. How can I change this value? I already checked man imapd.conf and man cyrus.conf but there is no such parameter.

Who knows where it is? If a developer reads this I want to ask him not to include such annoying timers. We never needed it and it is very time-consuming to find out how to get rid of them.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2008, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Uwe,

i guess this is the wrong place to ask for another default configuration of the Cyrus POP3 implementation. The correct place to do so is: http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/ however i guess this posting will not get read by any of the cyrus devs. As far as i know the value for the login delay is hardcoded at the cyrus-pop3 server.

As you can easily see at the cyrus sourcecode, the option IMAPOPT_POPMINPOLL is read from config_getint
      This is the original sourcecode distributed by the carnegie mellon team:

pop3d.c:1167
      void cmd_capa()
      {
      int minpoll = config_getint(IMAPOPT_POPMINPOLL) * 60;
      int expire = config_getint(IMAPOPT_POPEXPIRETIME);
      [...]
      prot_printf(popd_out, "LOGIN-DELAY %d\r\n", minpoll);

imapopts.c:135
      { IMAPOPT_POPMINPOLL, "popminpoll", 0, {(void*)0}, OPT_INT, { { NULL, IMAP_ENUM_ZERO } } },
      { IMAPOPT_POPTIMEOUT, "poptimeout", 0, {(void*)10}, OPT_INT, { { NULL, IMAP_ENUM_ZERO } } },

IMAPOPT_POPMINPOLL is 0 or ZERO here, means that the original cyrus pop3 code does not have a LOGIN-DELAY and that this setting may be introduced by a patch provided by your distributor.

Greetings
      Last edited by Martin Heiland; 05-24-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X