Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostname & Domain question

Hi,

the installation script asks which "hostname for this OX server should be used during the installation" and which "domain name for this OX server should be used during the installation"?

Am I right, that these names are not influenting the mail transfer later, if the system in installed?

Or should I use the "real" domain name, which is used for mail purposes?

Eg. should I use "thisserver.example.local" or "thisserver.realdomain.com", even if "thisserver.realdomain.com" is not listed in DNS.

And If I am asked during installation for the FQDN, this could also be my local name?

I am a little confused, because I had some trouble with mail transfer, and I am not really shure, if this might be the reason...

Thanks

Dirk
    Last edited by diwa; 06-11-2008, 11:21 AM.

Hi Dirk,

the hostname is indeed used for mail transfer and creating mail adresses. It's for a reason that a FQDN _SHOULD_ be a valid domain otherwise your mail is potentially spam and won't be forwarded to anybody either. E-Mail is not that nice warm sandbox it was 15 years ago
    You can also create additional aliases for the E-Mail addresses, but the fqdn is the domain name in most cases.

Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
      the hostname is indeed used for mail transfer and creating mail adresses.
      OK.

It's for a reason that a FQDN _SHOULD_ be a valid domain otherwise your mail is potentially spam and won't be forwarded to anybody either. E-Mail is not that nice warm sandbox it was 15 years ago
      You can also create additional aliases for the E-Mail addresses, but the fqdn is the domain name in most cases.
      So I do have one problem (or I think, I do have one ;-) ).

The OX-Server is connected to the internet by a DSL-line, and there is no name for that box, listed in any DNS.
      If my FQDN is "oxserver.mydomain.com", the "mydomain.com" part is real and other server using that domain (e.g. "www.mydomain.com") are listed in DNS, but my oxserver is not.

So this should be a problem while trying to send mail.

Ciao

Dirk

Comment

Hi Dirk,

yes it will be a problem - just imagine the growth of spam if any faked domain from any of the billions dial-in or adsl accesses would be delivered to the recipient. Most mail providers check for different patterns to detect spam based on their senders smtp server, such like checking the DNS matching the IP, excluding known dial-in network ranges and so on... you'd better get some root server with a static ip and a registered DNS entry for mailing, otherwise it will be, well - locally

Greetings

Comment

yes it will be a problem - just imagine the growth of spam if any faked domain from any of the billions dial-in or adsl accesses would be delivered to the recipient. Most mail providers check for different patterns to detect spam based on their senders smtp server, such like checking the DNS matching the IP, excluding known dial-in network ranges and so on... you'd better get some root server with a static ip and a registered DNS entry for mailing, otherwise it will be, well - locally
          I knew that would be the reason - but I was hoping it wasn't ;-)

So I probably need to configure the server the way you were suggesting on this thread.

A root-server isn't a solution, since the speed of the DSL is to slow (only a 384k line)...

Thanks

Dirk

Comment

One thing I had in mind while setting up the server that way:

I do have a smtp-server at my provider, which need an authentification before sending.
            I put in this authentification data at the postfix config and thoungt this would be fine...

Ciao

Dirk

Comment

Working...
            X