Homepage | Products | OX Knowledge Base | Support | Try Now | Contact | Company
OX Logo
    wdoerr Guest

Default Updating Debian?

Hello,

is it ok to run apt-get upgrade on a Debian box running OX-HE or do I run the risk of OX-HE not working anymore because of sideeffects of updating Debian packages?

Regards,

-Walter Dörr

Hi Walter,

We're running multiple machines with OX:HE on Debian Etch all with the latest updates, no problems so far. If you're updating please check the updated packages for any possible influence to OX:HE and update it, there should be no problem because the OX:HE Server itself runs completely in a Java Virtual Machine and if this package are broken somebody would definitely mention it before the package gets into the stable branch of Debian

Greetings

wdoerr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Braun View Post
    If you're updating please check the updated packages for any possible influence to OX:HE and update it,
    Can you please elaborate on that. What do I have to look for?

Dear Walter,

like with any other system it can have side effects if components the OX communicates with are replaced. This could be the used mod_jk or mod_proxy for example.

It's always good to make a backup before updating packages that interact with open-xchange.

Because Debian Updates only includes security fixes or backported fixes I'm quite sure there won't be problems.

Best regards,
    Daniel

Walter,

the packages required by the Open-Xchange Server are marked as dependencies at the open-xchange-* packages.

Greetings