Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

someone can help me with a how-to to set the mailserver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone can help me with a how-to to set the mailserver?

hi folks...

good day.

really do not know how to configure the mail server for use by the ox, then I am grateful that someone might be able to provide its assistance and knowledge to configure the mail service in my ox, because for me it was important to have this service enabled, so that is a complete suit collaborative. I am grateful for help as soon as possible.

furthermore believe that the aid would help me not only to me, I think in the future to help other people like me have doubts as to do this.

thakns a lot.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

realmente no se como configurar el servidor de mail para que sea utilizado por el ox, entonces agradezco que alguien me pueda brindar su ayuda y conocimiento para configurar el servicio de mail en mi ox, pues para mi es fundamental tener este servicio habilitado, para que sea una completa suit colaborativa. agradezco me ayuden lo mas pronto posible.

ademas creo que la ayuda no solo me ayudaria a mi, creo que ayudaria en el futuro a otras personas que como yo tienen duda de como hacer esto.

muchas gracias...

Hello Xiao,

your are right about a helping howto-setup of a mailserver. But to be honest, if you don't want to have special setups - the basic setup from OX is enough. If you want to have a special setup, it can be one of the most challenging things in IT

No serious. OX uses postfix (mail transfer) and cyrus (mailbox). These 2 components can be used for a home server with 2 accounts up to 300'000 accounts like hotmail estonia. So the basic software is the same, but you can imagine, that the setup will be completely different.
    To help a little bit look at
    www.postfix.org (good documentations and Howtos) and especially
    http://www.postfix.org/non-english.html for help in several languages

If you are looking for special help on several aspects of a mailserver, ask at the postfix and cyrus mailinglists. They can give you the very specific details, when you stuck at one point..... but be warned: never, never, never ask a question like "... I need some help with setup." - because they will send you a huge RTFM (Read The F.... Manual). Instead ask specific questions (I have a problem with setting up a relay from server A to B - for example) and include logs and setup files!!

Hope this helps

CU
    Popeye

Comment

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
      Hello Xiao,

your are right about a helping howto-setup of a mailserver. But to be honest, if you don't want to have special setups - the basic setup from OX is enough. If you want to have a special setup, it can be one of the most challenging things in IT

No serious. OX uses postfix (mail transfer) and cyrus (mailbox). These 2 components can be used for a home server with 2 accounts up to 300'000 accounts like hotmail estonia. So the basic software is the same, but you can imagine, that the setup will be completely different.
      To help a little bit look at
      www.postfix.org (good documentations and Howtos) and especially
      http://www.postfix.org/non-english.html for help in several languages

If you are looking for special help on several aspects of a mailserver, ask at the postfix and cyrus mailinglists. They can give you the very specific details, when you stuck at one point..... but be warned: never, never, never ask a question like "... I need some help with setup." - because they will send you a huge RTFM (Read The F.... Manual). Instead ask specific questions (I have a problem with setting up a relay from server A to B - for example) and include logs and setup files!!

Hope this helps

CU
      Popeye
      thanks for your answer popeye, but for now i only need a basic configuration for postfix, nothing in special, and what I was able to configure postfix to use ox as to the previous version 6.4, because for me is the best, easiest and most functional, because it is only for about 300 users.

PD: I know that OX uses Postfix, but I'm not know how to.

Comment

Originally posted by xiao View Post
        thanks for your answer popeye, but for now i only need a basic configuration for postfix, nothing in special, and what I was able to configure postfix to use ox as to the previous version 6.4, because for me is the best, easiest and most functional, because it is only for about 300 users.

PD: I know that OX uses Postfix, but I'm not know how to.
        Maybe the developers / OX-team gives some hints about this issue

Tronn

Comment

but for now i only need a basic configuration for postfix, nothing in special, and what I was able to configure postfix to use ox as to the previous version 6.4, because for me is the best, easiest and most functional, because it is only for about 300 users.
          You see thats where the problem starts.... with a basic setup you have to decide if you want to have something like
          Code:
          name.2ndname@address.com 
          or
          name@mycomputer.provider.es
          which means that you host your own server (in this case forget basic setup, or else you become the spammer of all spammers, because you installed an open relay - for shure)

or do you want to use a translation with an external provider

Code:
          user0300@here.home.es  -> name.2ndname@address.com
          then you need the virtual tables of postfix.

Next you have to decide if your setup will have its own spam/virus filter and how - local or remote?

When you know how your setup will look like, it is easier to look for howto's in the net that will help you.
          The main configuration file for this is in the directory /etc/postfix (depends on your linux distribution) and is called main.cf (for the parameters) and master.cf (for the services). Then you have some funny files access virtual transport and so on. In te basic setup, these files contain the man pages. Read them carefully and you will discover, that these are the files where you have to place the usersetup

Code:
          access:
          # email                     action
          name.2ndname@address.com OK
          ugly@nothere.com REJECT
          # and so on

virtual:
          # nice name (remote)                 local name
          name.2ndname@address.com   user0300@here.home.es
          # name is not changed in the header!
          # and so on

transport:
          # user                 deliver outgoing emails to
          name.2ndname@address.com      smtp:[mail.address.com]
          and there are a lot more other possibilities to change the behavior of your server.
          Then you have to run
          Code:
          postmap access virtual transport
          which generates a database file out of the text file.

In main.cf you have to set at least
          Code:
          mydomain = home.es
          myorigin = $mydomain
          mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
          mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24
          inet_interfaces = all

access_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/access
          canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
          transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
          and it would be wise to have something like

Code:
          smtpd_helo_required = yes
          smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
          smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
          as first part of a filter system.

Next you have to buy a book and start reading

So much as a first impression of what postfix can do. (left out spam/virus, because this is an other story...)

CU
          Popeye

Comment

Working...
          X