user.passwordchange and group plugins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user.passwordchange and group plugins

I am sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I cannot find a conclusive answer anywhere within the forum nor the documentation.

How can I enable these two plugins in Build 6601? I can see that they exist in the /var/www/ox6/plugins folder, but I cannot find anything in web GUI that uses their functionality.

I would have expected the user.passwordchange to show under Settings --> User, but I can only see the "Personal Details" option. Where should I expect to see the group plugin?

Is there anything I need to change in my configuration to enable these plugins? My installation was upgraded from Martin's community installer for SP3 following his instructions in the forum.

Many thanks

Suggestions??

Am I wrong in thinking that these plugins allow users to change their own passwords and to manage groups through the GUI?

Comment

Please help

Surely someone knows what these plugins are for, and how they are used? I know that you are trying hard to build your community, and I can see that the level of documentation and support has increased tremendously over the past few months, however, your forum seems dependent on one person (Martin) to provide 95% of the answers!! Until the developers and power users take an active part in help new adopters use their product, it is unlikely that your community growth will accelerate.

You product is superior to your competitors (Zimbra, Scalix, Zarafa etc.), yet your community lags way behind.

Please someone prove me wrong and help me out!!

Many thanks!

Comment

Hi,

sorry for not providing a answer, the ox team is currently very very busy to fix up and release the final Version of OX6 so there is no 100% forum coverage at the moment.
        About your question: The passwordchange plugin is intended to let a user change his/her password via the groupware web interface, but currently it's not packaged/available (as i said, very busy at the moment). The group and resource plugin is intended to manage usergroups and resources via the groupware web interface - but only for privileged users. This privileges can be granted to a user by using the "changeuser" command line tool with the --access-edit-group --access-edit-resource switches. Note that this contains partly administrative operations so it should not be possible to any user. Granting the permission to access those functionality will automatically enable the plugin for the specified user at the user interface.

Well and about the comparison to other related software projects... we're aware that Zimbra has a gazillion of forum members and great press but when taking a look at the discussions there, most of them are non-technical or on a pretty entry-level. No offense to those users, i respect them but it seems that many support issues are discussed there that belong to customer<->customer service discussions. It's true that those other projects have a more viable community by counted users but everybody here has the possibility to help building one where 95% of the answers are not provided by the core development team. This needs some "ignition" because i think the developers and the guys next to them know best about the software and need to transport their knowledge to the public to enable others to support users or start using and extending the software.

Greetings
        Last edited by Martin Heiland; 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

passwordchange available now

passwordchange packages are out now, btw.

Comment

Many Thanks

Many thanks for your responses. I have to agree Martin that the quality of discussion is much richer in these forums. I'm just updating my packages and will try the password packages and report back...

Comment

Can't find group or change password

I have granted the oxadmin user and another admin user --access-edit-group --access-edit-resource privileges, but I still cannot see where I can edit groups. I have also installed the changepassword packages but am not seeing a change password option.

What am I missing? Again, I've tried to find the answers myself - but it is unclear to me where I can learn more, or indeed if any documentation even exists for these plugins.

Thanks once again for your help and patience.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Hi,

what does the "Configuration" area of the groupware ui show?
                There should be a new subfolder "Administration" now.

Greetings

Comment

No Administration Option

The configuration menu looks exactly as it did before. There is no option for Administration. I have all of the packages quoted in http://www.open-xchange.com/wiki/ind...dition_Debian4 installed. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Comment

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions as to why I cannot see the group or change password options in the Configuration area? I am running the latest build 6602. I know that you are busy - does any documentation for these plugins exist so that I can ty to solve the problem by myself? (I have looked, but I cannot find any).

Comment

the starting point for debugging would be to type config.availableModules in the Firebug console. If it contains "com.openexchange.user.passwordchange" and "com.openexchange.user.personaldata". If yes, look in the Apache log for 404s. If no, look in the OX logs for the corresponding OSGi bundles. Or, if you don't waht to bother with Firebug, just look in both places

Comment

Oh, and for group and resource management, the names are com.openexchange.group and com.openexchange.resource, respectively.

Comment

Checked Firebug and Logs

Firebug shows that the modules below loaded:

"themes", "mail", "com.openexchange.mail.filter", "com.openexchange.user.personaldata", "folder", "tasks", "calendar", "contacts", "com.openexchange.extras", "portal", "interfaces", "infostore"

The logs are clean - I checked after a restart and after the user logging in and browsing the configuration area so I suspect that these modules are not enabled at all. Do I need to change any config or properties files to turn these modules on, or should the package have configured everything for me.

Comment

Still not working

I still have not managed to get this working.

My installation is on Debian Etch 2.6.18-6-amd64
                            I originally installed SP4 using Martin's community edition installer
                            I then upgraded the packages using Martin's instructions
                            As new packages have been released I have installed them

However, from following Viktor's instructions above it does not seem that these plugins are being loaded. There is nothing failing in the logs so I can only assume that open-xchange is not attempting to load these plugins.

My problem is that I cannot find any documentation or support to know what I need to do or where to look to diagnose and address this problem.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice that you can provide, or if someone could point me to wherever I can find the answers for myself.

I am competent with Linux, but not Java.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2008, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Solved (Kind of.....)

So after much messing around, I have determined that the problem was with the user permissions in the user_configuration table.

I did a clean install on another machine and saw that the oxadmin and testuser user had permissions of 2097151 whilst my users had permissions of 262143. Changing them to 2097151 displays the password and administration menus.

The trouble is that the default for new users seems to be 2097151, this gives access to the password plugin (good), AND the group and resource manager plugin (bad).

Can someone explain what the correct permissions should be to prevent access to the administration menu AND to set the default correctly for new users.

Also, and this may be two unrelated problems (if so I can start a new post), I am unable to create subfolders for any user for any folder (email, tasks, infostore). In Safari when I right click I get the pop-up menu and subfolder option, but when I select subfolder the menu disappears, nothing happens and the navigation tree freezes until something in the main window is selected. In Firefox 3 I do not even get a pop-up menu when right clicking. This is with build 6602.

In Windows, it crashes IE8 (in IE7 emulation) when loading at 90% - IE8 mode doesn't get that far before throwing errors.

I appreciate that you may not work weekends, but I would be very grateful for a response on Monday.

ps. The admin menu/permissions and subfolder issues are a priority for me. IE8 was just an observation.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2008, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X