Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which kind of installation type I should use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I understand.

Can you give me Info at which point you are standing.
    May I can help. Cause the WIKI page you send is empty.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sedeke View Post
      Ok I understand.

Can you give me Info at which point you are standing.
      May I can help. Cause the WIKI page you send is empty.
      You were too quick to read it I added the script just a few minutes after my post. Now the script is ready to be tested. I plan to test it myself tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Martin,

Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
        I agree that a script is a very easy way to set up software, but on some point it's required that a administrator understands all backgrounds of the systems that are running. Just imagine you're driving a car and your driving teacher is doing all the stuff for you. Suddenly he disappears and you're on your own - that won't be a preferable situation especially not if it could lead to security or availability flaws. My final conclusion is: A script to setup a E-Mail environment is not wise nor preferable.

But like i read on several postings here, there is a demand on a way to set up a E-Mail Server to work together with OX6. A brief guide to set up the services could be a good start, so we don't need any script that suggests a click&done functionality but the administrator has to learn some parts of the setup by executing a guide. I'd propose to start on a simple guide to set up the services, do basic authentication stuff and integrate this setup to OX6, i think this would help most of the users. If there is demand on a more complex setup, this needs to be done by the administrator himself because we cannot cover every single user scenario.

Greetings
        heh, you got me ;-)
        reading your mail made a smile on my face, because I realized the truth of your meaning and I recognized my own lazyness.

You are right of course, understanding the system is why all of us do things like this (otherwise we could use Windows) but it's a little bit of your own fault ;-)
        Your old script for the 6.4 was so comfortable and reliable (setting up a system in half an hour with just some key pressings) that some people here (just like me) getting disapointed about the new way...

but I agree with you: we want to learn, we want to understand and your new install guide is the right way...
        Additionally we got the board and assidous people like you which do a hard job to pimp our brains.
        Thanks for that!

greetings,

frosch

Comment

Motin

Have you test your script?
          Cause I can't connect to cyrus.

Comment

Originally posted by sedeke View Post
            Motin

Have you test your script?
            Cause I can't connect to cyrus.
            The current version of the script is affected by authentication issues. I have got it to work without following the script (http://www.open-xchange.com/forum/sh...=8266#post8261) but currently I don't know what difference I've have against the script installation to correct it.

As soon as I find out I'll be sure to post about it in the other thread.

Cheers

Comment

Motin

Cause I have a little time problem, my private mail server crash (hardware problem),
              I installed my Server new with Courier-IMAP (cause of mysql connectivity, robust, easy and so on), postfix, AmavisNew and MySQL.
              A good description can be found here: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-us...ail-ubuntu8.04

After everything work fine I install OX6 as Groupware and mail frontend.

Working fine except, I have now to administer my MySQL tables (user, domains, forwarding and transport) which have effect to postfix and courier, and I have alos to administer the user in OX.

On one hand it give me more flexibility on other hand a lot of work if you have lot of users. I have only few users. Otherwise it would be a must have that all configuration will be managed from one place.

This could be OX with an administration interface
              or what can be also possible
              an other management console which make the changes in OX also.

The second variant seems for me the better one. Cause if I make an update of OX and they change again something like crypt to sha-1, the complete mailserver would brake. With an external management tool, the postfix and IMAP configuration would still work, just OX will need some work afterwords.

So my resume is that Martin is absolutly RIGHT. OX is 'only' (don't beat me) a groupware with email interface.
              Not a management system for a full mail system. This has to be build by someone else or we handle it with scripts and tools.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2008, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X