Ubuntu Feisty problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Feisty problems

I'm running Ubuntu 64bit Feisty (server only - no X window) on a new machine. Yes, Feisty won't be released for a couple days but this is a fresh server install that's been updated of what will likely be the final release.

I've tried 2 fresh OX installs using the install doc that both resulted in the same problem. (I did the second one just in case I missed something the first time). Actually, there's 2 problems.

The installation went very well as I precisely followed the instructions. I used the Feisty repos for all requirements and dependencies. Note - I did use Sun Java6 JDK from the repos instead of Java5. (Could this be the problem?).

Problem #1
    Every instruction and test succeeded as documented until I got to 4.4 IV.4. Open-Xchange GUI. The instruction says:

Code:
    Now call the startup script to power on the groupware engine
    & /opt/open-xchange/sbin/open-xchange-groupware
    But when I do that the command stays in the foreground - the prompt doesn't return. So I ran it as a background task instead. Was that wrong?

Problem #2
    When I get to 5.2.4 V.2.4. Restart, the instructions say:

Code:
    Now restart saslauthd and cyrus and try to login with user oxadmin and password: <YOUROXADMINPASSWORDFROMINSTALL>
    I'm assuming that the login it's referring to is an OX login through a browser. If so, the browser prompt I get is in German (I think). Even though I can't read German I'm pretty sure it's asking for credentials. When I type in "oxadmin" and my oxadmin password, it returns some German text which I'm sorry I can't understand. But it's not a 404 or 503 error, just some text. I should've translated it in Google or Bablefish but I wasn't thinking. I'll do that tonight.

That's as far as I've gotten. I haven't performed the remaining steps (Postfix) instead opting to get these issues fixed first.

Please help me figure out the next steps to diagnose this. Thanks!

Soneone changed the wiki a few days or weeks ago. Before the command was:

/etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start

Post the german text, many of the users and developers understand this.
    i think its something like username and/or password is wrong or service is not runnuing. thats the only errors i know.

Comment

Originally posted by altariq View Post
      Soneone changed the wiki a few days or weeks ago. Before the command was:
      /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start
      Are you sure? The reason I ask is because a bit earlier in the docs it says to run:
      "/etc/init.d/open-xchange-admin start"

which for me worked fine but which is similar to the command you refer to. It's the other one - /opt/open-xchange/sbin/open-xchange-groupware - which behaves as I described in my original post.

As far as the German (I think) text, here's some screenshots.
      1) the credential prompt showing German
      2) the error received when /opt/open-xchange/sbin/open-xchange-groupware is not running (the one I start in the background because it doesn't want to return)
      3) the error I receive when #2 is running.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2007, 03:38 AM. Reason: completeness

Comment

Problem #1: This is the same for me, works fine if you run it as a background task.

Problem #2: I think this step is just asking you to check that you can log in to Cyrus okay - I used the Cyrus admin tool (cyradm) to check this - try
        Code:
        cyradm -u oxadmin localhost
        it should prompt you for your password then give you a
        Code:
        localhost>
        prompt if everything is working okay - type "quit" to exit.

My login screen is in German as well, wouldn't mind knowing how to switch it to English if anyone knows?!
        Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I'll try to clear things up a bit:

The installation places to scripts in /etc/init.d/ (that's the directory where linux likes to keep start/stop scripts for deamon processes). One is open-xchage-admin which start/stops the admindaemon which is the backend for the createuser, deleteuser... scripts (it manages users, groups and resources). The other is 'open-xchange-groupware' which is the backend for the web GUI.

All the error message tells you, is that the login failed (as if you didn't notice that ;-) ) Please start the groupware with /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start and try this again. If it doesn't work, have a look at /var/log/open-xchange/open-xchange-console.log and /var/log/open-xchange/open-xchange.log.0 for signs of weirdness.

The next place to recheck is the apache/mod_jk setup. Error 503 usually means that the apache can't talk to the groupware server for some reason (most likely because it didn't start correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco Laguna View Post
            The installation places to scripts in /etc/init.d/ (that's the directory where linux likes to keep start/stop scripts for deamon processes). One is open-xchage-admin which start/stops the admindaemon which is the backend for the createuser, deleteuser... scripts (it manages users, groups and resources). The other is 'open-xchange-groupware' which is the backend for the web GUI.
            I'd double check that because my version only installed the one startup script into /etc/init.d and that was the open-xchange-admin one mentioned in the Wiki install guide...

Edit: Just checked and there is a startup script located in /tmp/open-xchange/etc/init.d but the installer didn't copy it across and there were no error messages
            Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by playworker View Post
              Problem #2: I think this step is just asking you to check that you can log in to Cyrus okay - I used the Cyrus admin tool (cyradm) to check this
              You might be right. Cyradmin gives me this:

marcw@server1-feisty:/etc/init.d$ sudo cyradm -u oxadmin localhost
              IMAP Password:
              Login failed: authentication failure at /usr/lib/perl5/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 119
              cyradm: cannot authenticate to server as oxadmin

I'll have to look into this further tonight.

Although I had to sperately install cyrus-admin-2.2 from the repo in order to run this command. That wasn't in the docs.

Comment

Ok, but then both the installer and the instructions are both incorrect. Not only is open-xchange-groupware not referenced in the instructions the way you say, the installer doesn't put it in /etc/init.d either. It stays in /opt/open-xchange/sbin like the instructions state. Also, in looking at that file, it doesn't look like a normal init.d daemon. There's no case logic inside for start, stop, restart, etc.

Comment

Yeah, looks like your Cyrus/SASL setup isn't working properly - make sure everything out of Section V in the install guide is correct and also double-check your /etc/imapd.conf, mine had some SQL authentication stuff in there which needed commenting out (Gentoo though so might be completely irrelevant to you )

Comment

Originally posted by marcw View Post
                    Ok, but then both the installer and the instructions are both incorrect. Not only is open-xchange-groupware not referenced in the instructions the way you say, the installer doesn't put it in /etc/init.d either. It stays in /opt/open-xchange/sbin like the instructions state. Also, in looking at that file, it doesn't look like a normal init.d daemon. There's no case logic inside for start, stop, restart, etc.
                    The init.d daemon referred to is the one in /tmp/open-xchange/etc/init.d (or whatever your compilation dir was) I have a feeling it's not getting copied across by the install script (or at least mine wasn't)

Comment

The init.d daemon referred to is the one in /tmp/open-xchange/etc/init.d (or whatever your compilation dir was) I have a feeling it's not getting copied across by the install script (or at least mine wasn't)
                      Ah, I didn't check there. I'll do that tonight, thanks!

Comment

Yeah, looks like your Cyrus/SASL setup isn't working properly - make sure everything out of Section V in the install guide is correct and also double-check your /etc/imapd.conf, mine had some SQL authentication stuff in there which needed commenting out (Gentoo though so might be completely irrelevant to you )
                        Yes, I made sure that everything listed in the docs was included or changed in the imapd.conf but I didn't *remove* anything else. Perhaps I should have. I'll look into this tonight as well. Thanks!

Comment

All the error message tells you, is that the login failed (as if you didn't notice that ;-) )
                          Ok, but as you can see it's in German, as is the login prompt. What do I need to change to get everything in English?

Comment

Playworker was correct. Not only is 'open-xchange-groupware' not getting installed in /etc/init.d by the installer, neither is /etc/default/open-xchange-groupware.

Comment

Originally posted by marcw View Post
                              You might be right. Cyradmin gives me this:

marcw@server1-feisty:/etc/init.d$ sudo cyradm -u oxadmin localhost
                              IMAP Password:
                              Login failed: authentication failure at /usr/lib/perl5/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 119
                              cyradm: cannot authenticate to server as oxadmin

I'll have to look into this further tonight.

Although I had to sperately install cyrus-admin-2.2 from the repo in order to run this command. That wasn't in the docs.
                              i got the same error - and no, i got no mysql auth things in my imap config.

is there any known working fix?

greets, Nik

Comment

Working...
                              X