Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the free version of OX be a good replacement for a qmail server

Hello all,

We are in the planning stages and looking for a replacment for our current qmail server. Would free ox handle thousands of accounts?

Ran across some discussion here that the free ox not for commerical purposes. Don't expect any guarantees it is just required to run 24/7 - 365

Have been using qmail for years now and its been a good trouble free platform for us and our users. I've been told to move on and get something (free) that will provide some of the options found in Netware Group Ware or MS Exchange.

Wondering about the qmail maildir mailbox(s)... Would ox us the same mailbox(s) or is there a way to get them into ox format/location?

Had OX up and running some time ago on a development box.. It looks good. I'm just worried about it and the load..

10,000 accounts.. Maybe from 50 to 200 users using the system at any given time..

Thanks in advance for any info any one can provide.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2007, 12:25 AM.

Quote from

Start -----

Correct. Using the community edition may also cause some licensing issues because the GUI is CC noncommercial (but i am no lawyer). Additionaly there is no Outlook Connector available for the Community Edition. OX5 supports much more features for business use than hyperion does actually but there will be new commercial products using the new technologies of Hyperion soon.

end ----

Does this mean we would have to do the commercial version?

Comment

Originally posted by stewwalker View Post
      Hello all,

We are in the planning stages and looking for a replacment for our current qmail server. Would free ox handle thousands of accounts?

[... technical questions ...]

Had OX up and running some time ago on a development box.. It looks good. I'm just worried about it and the load..

10,000 accounts.. Maybe from 50 to 200 users using the system at any given time.
      As far as I understand you are comparing a mailserver with a groupware solution that consists of mailserver + groupware + webbased UI. Not knowing why qmail has been chosen by you, I guess that Cyrus, the mail server we prefer, is a good replacement for qmail.

Regarding performance I am confident that 200 concurrent sessions are no problem. It is dificult to describe performance of a server but I try to give you a hint: Our internal server has sometimes 50 concurrent sessions and the Athlon64 CPU does not jump over 15% load at any time. Java memory usage for groupware is about 100MB then.

Regarding the licensing the CC license says that you must not use it for commercial purposes. There are discussions about the meaning of noncommercial use. I understand that it violates the CC license if you charge the users for using it. If you are a company and set up OX and run it this is in line with the CC license as long as you do not sell OX or the service of providing it to others.

René

Comment

Working...
      X