Notes module/function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes module/function

Are there any plans to introduce a notes module/function or is the InfoStore a replacement for that functionality (and, if so, what happens when synchronizing with apps or devices that have a notes function)? (I'm talking here about something along the lines of Notes in Outlook (where you can keep a bunch of notes on whatever you'd like; the kind of functionality is very common in PIM applications). I rely on these heavily and having them on a website (ie, accessible via the OX web client) is very valuable because you always can get to them. Of course, you could put these in documents, but that it a very inefficient way to do it.)
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM.

Hi,

we understand how important additional Notes are.

However, Notes make primarily sense, if they can be synchronised with other frontends, like Outlook, Mobile Phones, ...
    And each of the potential frontends has a different implementation of Notes :-(

At the moment we don't have a Notes module on the Roadmap with high priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan Martin View Post
      we understand how important additional Notes are.

However, Notes make primarily sense, if they can be synchronised with other frontends, like Outlook, Mobile Phones, ...
      I agree with you on the first point, but I think you are wrong on the second point (that notes PRIMARILY make sense if they can be synced). Having notes just in Outlook (or any similar such desktop client), for example, is extremely useful (that's why all desktop PIM clients have them) even if they are not synced to anything else. Having them in the Open-Xchange web client would be even more useful because you could access them on the web. Clearly, being able to sync them adds additional and substantial advantages, but that does not entail that there are not big benefits to having them in the web client (even if they can't be synced). Plus, having them in the OX web client makes it a better candidate to be an Outlook replacement (note also that in doing so, you have eliminated the issue of Outlook/desktop client sync altogether for those users who make the switch (or never used Outlook in the first place)).

So, my suggestion is to create a Notes function for the OX web client regardless of whether they can be synced with Outlook or mobile devices. Worry about the syncing later.

I love Open-Xchange, but I don't use it because it doesn't have notes. (As a result, I have to use Outlook anyway, so I just do everything there in one place.) I have talked to quite a number of people about this and it seems clear to me that the biggest omission in the product is the lack of a notes function. I and these others want to get off of Outlook and move to OX, but we can't because there are certain functions missing (it's not an issue of more minor features or slight differences in the way things work: the OX web client is fine there and people quickly adjust; it's a matter of having a whole function (here, notes) not available).

Hope these thoughts help...
      Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X