Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• communication link failure when creating context

Hi everyone,

I have followed Open-Xchange Server 6 on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 from http://www.open-xchange.com/wiki/ind...Edition_SLES10 and I get a failure on one of the last steps of the install. When I try to create a context with the following command:

/opt/open-xchange/sbin/createcontext -A oxadminmaster -P admin_master_password -c 1 \
    -u oxadmin -d "Context Admin" -g Admin -s User -p admin_password -L defaultcontext \
    -e oxadmin@example.com -q 1024 --access-combination-name=all

(obviously I have adapted user name and password to my context)

I get the following error message:

context 1 could not be created:
    Server response:
    com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

Last packet sent to the server was 4 ms ago.

This error consistently appears whenever I try to create a new context.

Any idea where this problem is coming from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michaël

Hi Michaël,

could it be that the MySQL Database is not reachable or the access is blocked by any network topology like a packetfilter? Please take a look at /opt/open-xchange/etc/{groupware,admindaemon}/configdb.properties and try to connect via the "mysql" client to the host and credentials specified there.

For example:
    Code:
    $ mysql -h1.3.3.7 -uopenexchange -p
    Greetings

Comment

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply. I had already tried something similar and have tried again, just in case. I can successfully connect to the database with the mysql client with the credential info provided in the files that you mention

Regards,

Michaël

Comment

Hi,

please post the exception provided at the open-xchange-admin.log.0 file when executing the command.

Greetings

Comment

Hello Martin,

The command doesn't touch any of the files in /var/log/open-xchange/. The only files available in that directory are:

open-xchange-admin-console.log open-xchange-osgi.log
          open-xchange-console.log osgi-admin.log

The open-xchange-admin.log.0 is not there.

open-xchange-admin-console.log is empty.

Thanks for your continuous help.

Michaël

Comment

If you installed the log4j packages, logging will take place in syslog files.

Comment

Hello Carsten,

open-xchange-log4j had indeed been installed and as far as I can see, no error message is found in /var/log/messages that seems the most appropriate place to look at.

Michaël
              Last edited by friess; 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM.

Comment

If you installed the log4j packages, syslog takes places using syslog daemon(s).

So either do not install those packages (they are not listed in the installation instructions) or configure syslog accordingly as described here:

Comment

Mea culpa for the logs. Configuration was not done properly. I have removed the log4j package and get useful output in open-xchange-admin.log.0 (renamed to .txt to allow upload).

Best regards,

Michael
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like communication problems with the underlying database:

Code:
                    Last packet sent to the server was 11 ms ago.
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createCommunicationsException(SQLError.java:1070)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:2985)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:2871)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:3414)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1936)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:2060)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.execSQL(ConnectionImpl.java:2542)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1734)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:2019)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1937)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1922)
                    	at com.openexchange.admin.storage.mysqlStorage.OXUserMySQLStorage.create(OXUserMySQLStorage.java:841)
                    	at com.openexchange.admin.storage.mysqlStorage.OXContextMySQLStorageCommon.createAdminForContext(OXContextMySQLStorageCommon.java:226)
                    	at com.openexchange.admin.storage.mysqlStorage.OXContextMySQLStorage.create(OXContextMySQLStorage.java:1182)
                    	at com.openexchange.admin.rmi.impl.OXContext.createmaincall(OXContext.java:712)
                    	at com.openexchange.admin.rmi.impl.OXContextCommonImpl.createcommon(OXContextCommonImpl.java:135)
                    	at com.openexchange.admin.rmi.impl.OXContext.create(OXContext.java:208)
                    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
                    	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:294)
                    	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:153)
                    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                    	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:149)
                    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:466)
                    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:707)
                    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
                    Caused by: java.io.EOFException: Can not read response from server. Expected to read 4 bytes, read 0 bytes before connection was unexpectedly lost.
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readFully(MysqlIO.java:2431)
                    	at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:2882)
                    	... 26 more
                    I am unable to say, what exactly.

Comment

Some feedback on this thread.

I have reinstalled everything on a OpenSuse 11.0, again following the steps in the quick install guide and I can go through context and user creation. I have not identified where the communication problem on SLES came from, but at least I have a workaround.

Thank you for your help.

Michaël

Comment

Working...
                      X