Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about OX Community Edition

Hi Community!
    I am interested in the OX Community Edition, but like to know, if this is the right groupware in my situation.

I have an vserver from hosteurope (this one: http://www.hosteurope.de/produkt/Vir...erver-Linux-XL) with a middle strong cpu and enough ram.
    It's running a SUSE 10.3 with courierimap, qmail and mysql and plesk front-end services. I am hosting around 4-5 (active) domains on that machine.

Now I like to know, if I am able to run OX Com. Ed. and how it works with the OX internal imap and similiar services. E.g. Do they effect the courierimap? Is it possible to use OX just for one domain? Is it possible to use OX for multiple domains? How does OX get the e-mails? Does it grep them from the courier?

You would help me a lot, finding a decision...

Thank you
    Stephan

Hi Stephan,

OX does not use a internal IMAP Service, it behaves like a E-Mail client and uses imap/smtp services like cyrus, dovecot, courier, postfix, exim, qmail etc. So if you're planing to integrate OX to your server setup it will fit perfectly because you don't need to mess around with two mail servers etc. As we don't use a internal E-Mail Server it's no problem to enable/disable groupware accounts for multiple domains. The domains are simply not interesting to the groupware - you create contexts that can look like a domain to their users (for example, login as user@domain.com) but internally they're not bound to mail domains. Every user gets account information for the IMAP/SMTP Servers and uses them.
    A word about the Server: i think the hardware will not be capable to run OX and all the other services without bottlenecks, especially 512MB RAM are a problem for so much services on one box.

Please keep in mind that the licensing of the GUI prohibits rental or hosting for third parties, if you like to offer the groupware for third parties please contact our Sales team for dual-licensing.

Greetings
    Last edited by Martin Heiland; 11-12-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks Martin!
      That helped me a lot... What do you think, where the problems with the RAM might be? What does take so much RAM? Is there a way to slim the system down?

So I would actually just insert the POP3 information in the admin gui to tell OX where to log in to get the mails. And afterwards I would tell my mail clients (like thunderbird) to log on to the OX Mail System and not to my native (Courier) one, if I like to have the same status of sent/replyed... mails.

No, thank you. It wouldn't be for a commercial use. It's just that I, myself, have a few domains.

Thanks for your efforts
      Stephan

Comment

Hi Stephan,

because the OX server is just another E-Mail "Client" connects to courier naively via IMAP (in this case to localhost) - and your Thunderbird Client connects to courier too. So there is zero change in your existing E-Mail setup. The status of the Mails reply/sent are set by OX by standards compliant IMAP Flags (RFC 3501 Part 2.3.2. "Flags Message Attribute") and will be "synchronized" to Thunderbird via courier.

The problem with RAM is that many services consume a bunch of memory: MySQL, Courier, SMTP, Apache, OX, Linux etc. so 512 is the bare minimum you'll be more compfortable with 1Gig. I'd say just try ist

Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X