Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting Open Xchange to an external Exim(SMTP) and Courier (IMAP) Vexim install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Open Xchange to an external Exim(SMTP) and Courier (IMAP) Vexim install

Hello people

Checking out currently Open Xchange. It's looking realy great
    My OS for Open Xchange is Debian 5.0. It seems Open Xchange run's fine. On another Server run's it too, with an many years old Exim & Courier Installation. Easy to maintain with Vexim. Upgraded to every Relaise since Woody. Include Greylisting, Spamassine and ClamAV. The Useradministration runs over a MYSQL Database. Users are logging to the Mailserver with Emailadress as Username and everybody has got his own Password.
    Currenty i don't know how i can connect form Open Xchange to the Mailserver on the other Machine per each User with Username=Emailadress & Password. Is there about some Dokumentation to relaise it or it is basically possible?

Kind regards Darko

Hi,

there is plenty of documentation over at http://software.open-xchange.com/
    Your specific task can be achieved by using the following parameters at the create/changeuser command:
    --imapserver <remote imap server address>
    --smtpserver <remote smtp server address>
    --imaplogin <user name of the remote imap>

Please also check the documentation for different authentication handlings, the OX user password must be equal to the imap/smtp account password.

Greetings

Comment

Thank's alot!

Hmm maybe i have to Hack something to get a syncronisation of the passwords between the two Databases. The password's in the Vexim Database are MD5 encrypted. Doe's Open Xchange stores encrypted Passwords in they Database too? Which encrypted Formats they are availeble if it's possible?

Some other questions will commes seriosley soon

kind regards Darko
      Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2009, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Ok here i am again I have installed the Package open-xchange-authentication-imap from the Repository. After them, the Syntax to create a User with the Parameters was realy simple and it works. In a another Thread i have read that you suggest to set random passwords. Full ACK from me Only i currently do not understand to set a random passwords. Can you tell me the syntax?

kind regards

Comment

Hi Darko,

Open-Xchange natively supports crypt() (weak) and SHA1 hashing algorithms at the database - the default is SHA1. If you need MD5 we may find a agreement depending on the business case.

To set random passwords, just enter rubbish at the create/changeuser parameter "-p". Those command line tools only write to the Open-Xchange database. In case you're using IMAP authentication, the auth is done against the IMAP server by trying to LOGIN - if this passes the user has access to the groupware granted. So in this case the password at the database is still there but unused. If you switch back from IMAP to the default database authentication its better to have a unknown/random password rather than a weak password because at the time you setup those users you didn't need a database based auth.

Greetings
          Last edited by Martin Heiland; 03-14-2009, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X