X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong rights when creating an email-folder

Hi there,

We're using OX 6.10 with cyrus imapd and have the following issue:

When a user creates an E-Mail subfolder, the folder is created with wrong rights (cyradm shows "lkxca") -> the user can not access his own newly created folder. (He still can change the rights to his needs).

When I create a folder with Thunderbird, the rights are ok.

What is OX doing when creating a folder an how can I fix this?

Thank you!
    hubsif.

Hi,

this is pretty strange, i could imagine two scenarios why this happens

1. The permissions are inherited from the subfolder (check the permissions)
    2. There is some kind of a default set by the IMAP server which gets overwritten by Thunderbird

You could also check the imap network traffic when creating a folder via OX, maybe this shows some evidence.

Greetings

Comment

I think this error is caused by OX:

I used tcpdump to log the imap traffic and I could see the following commands sent by OX:

Code:
      CREATE INBOX.Test1
      [...]
      GETACL INBOX.Test1
      MYRIGHTS INBOX.Test1
      SETACL INBOX.Test1 N000005 acdeiklprstwx
      DELETEACL INBOX.Test1 n000005 <== !!!!
      Why does OX send a "DELETEACL"?

hubsif.

Comment

Hi,

please try to define the case correct name of the user at the imaplogin of the ox server. N000005 and n000005 is not the same.

Greetings

Comment

Thank you for your answer.

I set "imaplogin" for this user to the lowercase username. Still no luck.

With other mailclients it doesn't matter if the username provided is upper or lower case, so I guess for the cyrus imapd the username is case insensitive anyway.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!
          hubsif.

Comment

I'm stuck here. I can't find the cause and we can't use OX if this is not working.
            Maybe someone can help...

Comment

Does the change of the imap login change something at the tcpdump you get? Does it use the right username now?

Comment

I deleted the user (N000005) and recreated him lower case (n000005) and now it is working. Still can't understand this as I thought it is common that usernames are case insensitive.

For me this seems like a bug in OX.

To solve it for now I'd need to rename all usernames to lowercase as our cyrus answers with lowercase usernames. Furthermore I'd need to hack the oxldapsync script to create users lowercase.

Is there a way to rename users?

Thank you!

Comment

Hi,

there is something interesting at the cyrus documentation, seems like this problem is not too uncommon and the best practice is to use lowercase user names.

# Forcing recipient user to lowercase
                  # Cyrus 2.2 is case-sensitive. If all your mail users are in lowercase, it is
                  # probably a very good idea to set lmtp_downcase_rcpt to true. This is set by
                  # default, per RFC2821. This was not set by default in debian versions up to
                  # and including 2.2.12-4.
                  lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes

cyradm knows the command "renm" or "renamemailbox" for this task, check out the docs.

Greetings

Comment

Thank you for you efforts.

I don't understand exactly what you're aiming at.
                    We have set "lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes"

I sniffed IMAP traffic with OX user created lowercase (n000005) and now OX does not send "SETACL" or "DELETEACL" anymore.

As before OX sends "GETACL INBOX.Test5" (when creating folder Test5). Cyrus answers with "ACL INBOX.Test5 n000005 lrswipkxtecda".
                    I think OX interprets the username (n000005) and doesn't understand it right when it does not have the same case as the username configured in OX.
                    This is why I think it's an OX bug; OX should interpret the answer case-insensitive.

Can you confirm?

Comment

Hi,

we're just investigating why it's case sensitive. Could you provide information how to set up such a mailbox? if the real username on the imap server is "N0005" you'll need to set this name as --imaplogin.

Greetings
                      Last edited by Martin Heiland; 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X