scroll speed in ox6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll speed in ox6

Hi I'm using 6.12.0 Rev3 and scolling through a list of emails in the inbox is very sluggish - when you stop scrolling it takes a second to show the current list of emails in that position. Also you cannot see the email list while scrolling.

Is there any way this can be improved? I've upgraded a few clients from ox5 and they are complaining it's too slow and they want to go back to ox5!

Hi,

what browser do your clients use?

Greetings

Comment

they all use firefox 3.5.x. have tried chrome, opera and arora but none offer a smooth/fast scroll for the inbox list. I have come to realise perhaps it's just not possible the way the ox interface has been written. The old ox5 was perfect.

If you know of an ideal browser or some setting I am missing please let me know. I'm trying to get users to replace their desktop email apps but I guess that's currently not possible as people just complain about the scroll speed.

Comment

Hi,

personally i use Firefox 3.5 and the speed is okay for me. Sure, it will not be as fast and smooth like a desktop application but its 80% of that. Typically i search for e-mails rather than scrolling, but thats different for every user. The web interface might be able to display mails very fast and offer smooth scrolling. The issue is, that those mails are fetched "live" from the mail backend. This means, if you scroll fast (e.g. 50 mails per second) there are 50 mail headers requested from the server. Even if fetching headers is very fast since headers are indexed, it takes some milliseconds due to network latency and stuff. Desktop clients have the benefit of a local storage. They download e-mail and access it at the desktops memory which of course is near to realtime. With OX5, we did not use dynamic access but used lists of 50 mails each. This means, you cannot scroll so fast. Personally i think OX6 is faster than OX5 if the real use case is compared. Of course it can seem to be slower but only because OX6 offers this kind of feature where OX5 did not. The best way to offer a better subjective feeling about the speed this is checking if the performance of the IMAP backend can be optimized. If you use a remote IMAP backend you might check this connection as well. We're using OX6 internally (of course) and scrolling through a 25k mail folder is quite smooth, scrolling very fast results in a 500-1000msec wait time but if i scroll so fast i cannot read the mail information so the question is if such fast scrolling is a practical use case.

Greetings

Comment

you can also check this thread for a tip to increase performance
          http://www.open-xchange.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=3869#7

Comment

thanks for your comments I now at least know when it is the way it is! I just wish for those fussy customers I could tell ox6 to preload pages of say 50 email headers like with ox5.

Comment

You could ask them if they can find mails faster by clicking through 5x50 mails or if scrolling 250 might be faster in a way, just let them experiment

Comment

Working...
              X