Licence dependencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licence dependencies

There this thing i don't understand in GPL licence.

I sometimes see products that tell things like "we also recommend you this product which is an extension to our one, but as it is released under the GNU/GPL licence, we can't provide it directly and you will have to download it by your own".

Well my product would be LGPL and as it share things with GPL, would it be easier to distribute Open-Xchange (with my product) by warning my members that they have to respect it's gpl licence ?

Uhm, i am no lawyer, so i have to ask smart people about it later

But think about the fact that only the server code of Open-Xchange is licenced with GPL, the GUI and all the Artwork is CreativeCommons Non-Commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
      Uhm, i am no lawyer, so i have to ask smart people about it later

But think about the fact that only the server code of Open-Xchange is licenced with GPL, the GUI and all the Artwork is CreativeCommons Non-Commercial.
      That means it isn't permitted to use Hyperion, installt like this wiki (http://wiki.open-xchange.com/wiki/in...e_Installation) for my company?
      Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Sorry c4stro, i don't understand what you mean when you talk about wiki and your company.

Anyway, Hyperion can be used in online commercial purposes until you change the gui which i think is fair and fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Guizmo View Post
          Sorry c4stro, i don't understand what you mean when you talk about wiki and your company.

Anyway, Hyperion can be used in online commercial purposes until you change the gui which i think is fair and fine for me.
          Ok, I will try to explain it. I was searching a groupware to used in my company, i found this projekt that is named OPEN xchange. If i understand you right, i can use it for business only without the gui?

Comment

Originally posted by c4stro View Post
            Ok, I will try to explain it. I was searching a groupware to used in my company, i found this projekt that is named OPEN xchange. If i understand you right, i can use it for business only without the gui?
            It is not that easy. Using it for your company is non-commercial use. Selling the software or providing the software as a service (for money) is commercial use. So, if you build the software and run it in your comany it should be ok.

I am not a lawyer but that is how I see that non-commercial usage is defined by the CC license. So, feel free to do it but pls report back the feedback of your users in this forum. :-)

René

Comment

Originally posted by c4stro View Post
              If i understand you right, i can use it for business only without the gui?
              Not completly, my example were just about an online exploitation. Providing the software as a service is allowed by the GPL but not by the Creative Commons choosed for Hyperion. But as i understand, GUI is not only the graphics as i suspect you think it is , i talk here about GUI in terms of all the elements composing the front end, so including javascript code and so on. If you have a commercial plan of Hyperion in mind, you will have to change all of this.

Others examples depend of what you really want to do
              Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Not completly, my example were just about an online exploitation. Providing the software as a service is allowed by the GPL but not by the Creative Commons choosed for Hyperion. But as i understand, GUI is not only the graphics as i suspect you think it is , i talk here about GUI in terms of all the elements composing the front end, so including javascript code and so on. If you have a commercial plan of Hyperion in mind, you will have to change all of this.

Others examples depend of what you really want to do
                Ok i understand, i must choose an other groupware. This cc licences is not useful for me, i dont like every time think about the right to installed or not.
                Thanks for this Information.

Comment

Providing the software as a service is allowed by the GPL but not by the Creative Commons choosed for Hyperion.
                  As long as you offer it for free, you can offer CC licensed software as a service too.

René

Comment

Absolutly but my example, trying to answer c4stro context i suspect, were about commercial purposes from the start so
                    but c4stro, as Rene Stach said, if you plan to use it only for your company, it is non-commercial use, so you can do your wiki (but with another product than open-xchange as your url example is a php script and that hyperion does not propose wiki area management ). As i understand, you plan commercial use, correct me if i'm wrong
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2007, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X