Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replicating Exchange functionality - is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replicating Exchange functionality - is it possible?

We're looking to move away from our internal Exchange Server, and move to a hosted solution. Having come across Open-Xchange, I love the UI and the Infostore, but I'm not seeing how to do a few things we used to do with Exchange. So I'd appreciate any comments as to whether the functionality (or equivalent) exists in Open-Xchange:

1) The main issue I'm seeing is that we use mail-enabled public folders to handle various common mail addresses (eg SUPPORT). The way we have Exchange setup is any emails received at the SUPPORT address are placed in an 'archive' folder for historical reference, and any emails addressed TO or CC the SUPPORT address are placed in a separate 'queue' folder. Techs will then monitor that queue folder for emails (via either IMAP or MAPI), and delete them once they've been handled; any responses we send will be bcc'd back to SUPPORT to handle the archive of outbound emails. This has worked well for years.

I can't see how to do this in OX:

- From the options presented in the UI and the online docs, it looks like Public Folders can't store email items. Really?
    - An alternate may be to share user's Private Folders, but I've been unable to share email folders on the 2 OX systems I've tried - is that possible.
    - If it is possible, does each person maintain their own read-status regarding the shared folder contents (ie user1 sees an email as read, but user2 sees the same email as unread)?
    - Are the shared folders available via IMAP as well as the web client?

2) I couldn't see any mail distribution list capability (eg mail sent to mylist@mydomain being distributed to user1, user2 & user3). Did I miss something?

These observations are based on setting up test acounts at 1and1, trying the Netsol demo system and reading the various docs. 1and1 / Netsol don't seem to offer sharing of private email folders so I couldn't test that. 1and1 support is somewhat "high-level", and the NetSol system looks out of date and has broken links. Does anyone know of any other decent hosting providers in the US?

Originally posted by Andrewm View Post
    We're looking to move away from our internal Exchange Server, and move to a hosted solution. Having come across Open-Xchange, I love the UI and the Infostore, but I'm not seeing how to do a few things we used to do with Exchange. So I'd appreciate any comments as to whether the functionality (or equivalent) exists in Open-Xchange:

1) The main issue I'm seeing is that we use mail-enabled public folders to handle various common mail addresses (eg SUPPORT). The way we have Exchange setup is any emails received at the SUPPORT address are placed in an 'archive' folder for historical reference, and any emails addressed TO or CC the SUPPORT address are placed in a separate 'queue' folder. Techs will then monitor that queue folder for emails (via either IMAP or MAPI), and delete them once they've been handled; any responses we send will be bcc'd back to SUPPORT to handle the archive of outbound emails. This has worked well for years.

I can't see how to do this in OX:

- From the options presented in the UI and the online docs, it looks like Public Folders can't store email items. Really?
    - An alternate may be to share user's Private Folders, but I've been unable to share email folders on the 2 OX systems I've tried - is that possible.
    - If it is possible, does each person maintain their own read-status regarding the shared folder contents (ie user1 sees an email as read, but user2 sees the same email as unread)?
    - Are the shared folders available via IMAP as well as the web client?
    Open-Xchange does not contain a mail server. It requires an external mail/imap server to be installed. If that external imap server allows to create/maintain shared imap folders, OX can use them.

2) I couldn't see any mail distribution list capability (eg mail sent to mylist@mydomain being distributed to user1, user2 & user3). Did I miss something?
    In OX, every user can maintain it's own DLs. Or, if using a mail server supporting global DLs e.g. using LDAP, OX can also use these.

These observations are based on setting up test acounts at 1and1, trying the Netsol demo system and reading the various docs. 1and1 / Netsol don't seem to offer sharing of private email folders so I couldn't test that. 1and1 support is somewhat "high-level", and the NetSol system looks out of date and has broken links. Does anyone know of any other decent hosting providers in the US?
    If hosted Open-Xchange does not offer these functionality, you might either check OXAE or OX4UCS (see http://www.open-xchange.com/en/ox_for_ucs-en) or contact an Open-Xchange partner in your area.

Feel free to contact us at http://www.open-xchange.com/en/contactus

Comment

Working...
    X