New Installation Cannot Send Mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Installation Cannot Send Mail

Hi all. I am brand new to Open-Xchange. I downloaded the community appliance edition dvd and installed it in a virtual machine on VMWare ESXi 4.1. The installation seemed to go well, I created a few users and can send email between them without trouble. However, I cannot send email to external hosts. I cannot seem to find a setting for this either.

Our company uses a pop mail through Yahoo business right now. Our owner wanted to move to Exchange because of the shared calendar offerings as well as use on mobile devices like the Blackberry, iPhone, and Android phones. I have a real opportunity to move us into the open source world but have zero experience with OX.

Could somebody possibly point me in the right direction? If I can get this thing working and demonstrate it's capabilities it will be a move in the right direction. Do I have to have a separate mail server for OX to send/receive from? Can I customize the installation so that it has our company name instead of displaying Univention everywhere? We are not interested in hosted solutions but I would appreciate any tips and tricks.

Thanks!

I will reply since I am doing almost the same as you but I am a little ahead of you.

The first thing to point out is that open-xchange does not include either the SMTP server or the IMAP server these must already exist.

In my case I am using Postfix for SMTP and Dovecot for IMAP. So if you can send to internal but not external clients you need to log into your favorite email client (say Outlook) and confirm that the internal clients are reachable and the external clients are not reachable.

If this is the case then it might be a DNS issue. Is OX and the email servers on the same box?

Comment

That explains it then. So I need to stand up a separate mail server of some kind? Is it recommended this be a separate box or can I install postfix on the same vm appliance that ox is installed on? Also, I am not using outlook, just the web client for ox. Once I have my mail server running where do I go to tell OX to send email through it? And do I need to have OX check that mail server for incoming mail or do I have incoming routed directly to OX?

Just to clarify, I do not have another mail server. I just installed this in a VM for testing. I have never used a linux mail server but have always wanted to try! lol guess now is as good a time as any.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-04-2010, 01:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
      X