Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Xchange Newsflash Week 9

... Open-Xchange is also
    open sourcing the source code of the 1&1 MailXchange project ...

May I just ask, when?

aljosa

Originally posted by Aljosa View Post
    ... Open-Xchange is also
    open sourcing the source code of the 1&1 MailXchange project ...

May I just ask, when?

aljosa

hey aljosa,

well, since this morning .
    You can easily checkout from our CVS server. i suggest you follow the download link from your website to the wiki installation page. there you find a detailed installation howto and the CVS url to get the source.

greetings ben

Comment

ahh gee, this should be a posting by me and not as admin. sorry, everything is still a bit new for us.

Comment

Is there any shedule as to when it will be a final release

Comment

Hi Andrè,

You can see our Community Roadmap here:

What exactly do you mean with "Final"? The current product will be launched as 1&1 MailXchange tomorrow and it has been developed in the last months, so this is no tech-demo, this is 'real' software. Of course there will be some more updates and new modules for the community edition - it is based on a 'live' cvs system. The Open-Xchange project will not stop at version X by marking it as "final" but it will evolve in the future, hopefuly with some contributions by the community
          Last edited by Martin Heiland; 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM.

Comment

For this I mean a productive quality release, like 6.0 (or whatever you put the version number on it)

Thanks, the roadmap show the targets.

Comment

Currently the "Open-Xchange Codename Hyperion" software is a productive quality release. In-deep versioning and packaging of stand-alone products for SMB/SME will be communicated by our product management. I am sorry but i can't give you much more information about this. I think the roadmap shows clearly that Open-Xchange has a strong effort to carry on with the development based on open-source and community backed software.
              Last edited by Martin Heiland; 02-28-2007, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Does this mean the Community Edition will be (fully) supported again, incl. security patches etc.? I recall a maildiscussion where it was said not to use this software since it wasn't going to be supported anytime soon.

If it is going to be fully supported (and I manage to install it with the installation guide ) how do I update the software that has already been installed?

I've been wanting to use Open-Xchange for a long time now and it would be cool if this is going to work

Comment

Originally posted by RedNalie View Post
                  Does this mean the Community Edition will be (fully) supported again, incl. security patches etc.? I recall a maildiscussion where it was said not to use this software since it wasn't going to be supported anytime soon.

If it is going to be fully supported (and I manage to install it with the installation guide ) how do I update the software that has already been installed?

I've been wanting to use Open-Xchange for a long time now and it would be cool if this is going to work

hey RedNalie,

to tell the truth, we had no time. we wanted to bring more but we had no time. so this release is a big thing even for us and we are very proud of it.

for your update problem: right now we have no migration from the old OX to the new one. we just finished with this version and this means we do the other stuff now. i can't give you any details about this but i can tell you it has changed a lot in the core and you can not just copy your old DB to the new one. maybe we can bring some how-to stuff together to get your old data from the ox to the new mysql db. we will see.

greetings ben

Comment

Ah, that makes sense then

I'll be trying to install this new version this week then.

One of the main reasons I will is because I have a PDA (WM5) which I want to have in sync with my laptop en PC. This requires me to use OXTender if I'm not mistaken. Is there an community edition for that as well or can I get it by alternative means (buy?).

One more question (I know, I'm sorry ), is there any sight of ebuilds, debian packages, etc.?

Comment

Like Ben said - the current community edition is the plain groupware without any device connectors like SyncML or Palm.
                      Some gentoo guys seem to plan to generate a ebuild afaik, lets see
                      Last edited by Martin Heiland; 02-28-2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Ah, that makes sense then

I'll be trying to install this new version this week then.

One of the main reasons I will is because I have a PDA (WM5) which I want to have in sync with my laptop en PC. This requires me to use OXTender if I'm not mistaken. Is there an community edition for that as well or can I get it by alternative means (buy?).
                        Puh, i can't tell you anything about that right now. not that I'm not allowed to, no, i just don't know. I will forward this to our product management.

One more question (I know, I'm sorry ), is there any sight of ebuilds, debian packages, etc.?
                        The CVS is just online for 24 hours now. Give us (or them) some time and I'm sure there will be some kind of package.

Comment

Originally posted by mbraun View Post
                          Like Ben said - the current community edition is the plain groupware without any device connectors like SyncML or Palm.
                          Some gentoo guys seem to plan to generate a ebuild afaik, lets see
                          Yes that is right. We haven't any device connectors like SyncML or Palm for the current community edition. At the moment the Product Management is verifying some possibilities. If we have a dedicated timeline, we will announce this immediately.

Comment

Working...
                          X