Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxadmin-login???

hi there guys, lieber martin!
    i have just installed open exchange with that community installer of your's, (spitzen bereicherung übrigens, martin) and i thought successfully, but i am missing the admin-login.
    as far as i have found out i am supposed to find that one on localhost/oxadmin/Login via browser.
    but there is no such path, meaning no what so ever oxadmin or Login folder in apache file structure...
    there's a phpmydmin-folder in there, a squirrelmail-folder several others, tons of mainpage-, newmail-, mailcore, etc...-htmls an java scripts, but no admin interface.
    can anybody please tell me what the heck happened to the oxadmin, and how i can install it?
    btw i had not one single error during the script execution (exept for those two where it trys to login to mysql with user root@localhost and no password)!
    everything else actually seems to work quite fine so far, testuser account works just fine, i can send and receive mails (so far only locally as i got no domain record, not to mention an mx-record), but as you will understand i have no clue at the moment 'bout how to add users and the according mailboxes, etc...
    i know there is a adduser script somewhere in the /var/opt/open-exchange-folder but i don't like it...
    if there's grafics i want them!
    so thx in advance

edit: i forgot to mention it's the feisty fawn version
    edit#2: uh, and one more thing, i can not only login as testuser but also as oxadmin on the webmail interface, it just has no mailbox (Error code: No IMAP account exists for user Open-Xchange Administrator (2) in context 1 (MAIL-0096,-1397726960-73), so the script must have done SOMETHING according to that admin account, but it somehow forgot its user-interface, oder so...
    Last edited by Guest; 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM.

Hi,

the installer worked correct, there is no admin gui at the public cvs at the moment. Please use the command line tools at /opt/open-xchange/sbin to configure the server instead.

The user "oxadmin" is used for context administration. That's simply no IMAP account as most user would use another account like "postmaster" for E-Mail management. You may use the oxadmin user and the password provided at installation to user the command line tool. For example
    ./createuser -A oxadmin -P password <more options>

Greetings.
    Last edited by Martin Heiland; 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firebird View Post
      hi there guys, lieber martin!
      i have just installed open exchange with that community installer of your's, (spitzen bereicherung übrigens, martin) and i thought successfully, but i am missing the admin-login.
      The administration interface that is shipped with Open-Xchange Express Edition will be made available in the public CVS soon. There are a few changes required so that the admin interface can be compiled and is fully functional, but unfortunately, some people required for the changes are on holiday.

René

Comment

ah yeah, that explains a lot!

guess those commandline tools will do the job just fine.
        and that holidays are justified as far as i can see, so i hope they enjoy!

one little question i got, though; if there are changes required, that of course implicates, that there are differences between those versions, is there some table comparing features or differences or something?

ah yeah and another one: there will be some limitations to the use of the community version i presume, guess i skipped that during install, so where can i read the license pls? (i wasn't aware until just now, that it's commercial sophtware, actually that is a bit of a shock to me as i thought it was gnu license open source stuff, no offense of course...)
        thx again in advance n' greez, klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus,

one little question i got, though; if there are changes required, that of course implicates, that there are differences between those versions, is there some table comparing features or differences or something?
          Not yet, but as far as i know, Renè is planing something like that. Just a rough overview:
          Hosting Edition - Distributed Setups, Clustering, Multi-Domain, Multi-Tenancy, Provisioning, commercial version, OXtenders, professional customer support and professional services

Express Edition - In-House software, easy installation, easy administration, updates as a service, commercial version, OXtenders, professional customer support

Community Edition - Do-it-yourself version, always the latest available code, for development, education and private usage, based on the hosting edition, gpl/cc licence

ah yeah and another one: there will be some limitations to the use of the community version i presume, guess i skipped that during install, so where can i read the license pls?
          If you've installed the software by the community installer, you'll find those licenses at /tmp/hyperion-install/licenses. Otherwise check the OX legal page:

Well, the limitation is to not resale the CreativeCommons licenced code (the User interface). The server components are licensed by the GNU/GPLv2. If you use the community edition, you'll need a bunch of dependencies to compile that are covered by other, in some parts more restrictive licenses like EPL, CDDL, MPL, Apache License, Sun Proprietary License, Creative Commons.

(i wasn't aware until just now, that it's commercial sophtware, actually that is a bit of a shock to me as i thought it was gnu license open source stuff, no offense of course...)
          Well, the server components are GNU/GPL code, the GUI is CreativeCommons with non-commercial tag which means that resale of the GUI (like a hoster does) is not allowed with the community edition. You may even go and sell the Apache Webserver for a Million $ if you find somebody who pays for it - the GNU/GPL does not make any statement about that free software must be free of charge (free as in freedom, not as free beer).
          Yes, Open-Xchange sells the software packaged to customers who do not want to compile and maintain everything themself. But everybody is able to get the sourcecode of mostly everything except some extensions which are modified for special customers need, for example a implementation of a hosters proprietary E-Mail system or billing processes. I mean this is business software, companies use it to do their work with it. Thats why support and maintenance are very important aspects for business software. In the end, the company which makes money selling the software and services does the most development for that project (140.000 lines of code at the server, 40.000 lines of code at the GUI, testing, QA, planing, research...). But everybody is invited to join the development of this software. I think that's more than a fair deal...
          Last edited by Martin Heiland; 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

hi martin!
            first of all, thanx a lot for taking the time to give such a detailed answer, i really appreciate that!
            as far as i understand, those pricings are actually mostly for supply of services and manpower to customers, and i agree, considering the amount of time probably invested, that that IS a fair deal!
            as long as there is a version that can be used freely
            seriously, i am very glad about that, as i consider it very powerful and actually the only wholehearted alternative to microsoft's exchange!

may i still bother you with one more question, to cut short(meaning, not having to read 15 licenses now...), pls?
            i am an it-professional, selling my services to small businesses, so far i have mostly been concerned with windows systems, but i am continuously skipping to linux, as i really have learned to estimate it (and actually i like ms' privacy policy less with every release...).
            now of course i wouldn't take money for the software, not least as that is one of the great advantages of it, but only for my working time.
            am i allowed to install the cvs to my customers' systems?
            and/or in other words, if i am a company with let's say 15 employees, may i use it?
            thx once more, klaus

Comment

Hi Klaus,

this license question is answered at the OX legal section because it is not very clear (even to the CreativeCommons Fundation). The "critical" part of such a deployment is the GUI as it is released under terms of the "Creative Commons License, Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5" Which means that you are allowed to:

* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
              * to Remix — to adapt the work

under the following conditions

* Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
              * Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
              * Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

Attribution simply means that it must be clear who developed parts of the code. Such like comments or copyright marks.

Noncommercial:
              "Open-Xchange interprets Noncommercial to include all INTERNAL individual, not-for-profit and for-profit use. EXTERNAL individual, not-for-profit and for-profit use such a resale, rent and lease as well as inclusion of the digital content in an advertising model is considered COMMERCIAL use and prohibited under our interpretation of the license. Professional services providers have inquired as to the treatment of their services under our interpretation of the Noncommercial provisions; we view the performance of professional services as a NONCOMMERCIAL INTERNAL use of the digital content and it is allowed."

Which means: You are allowed to use the software at a company for all internal purposes. Renting, Resale or Leasing of the software (take money for using it) is not allowed. If you want to offer your service to e.g. set up a Open-Xchange server at a customer you may only be payed for your service, but not for the software you implement.

For more information, take a look at the License FAQ:

Comment

hi martin!
                alright, you're right again, that is as a matter of fact a little diffuse, but
                "we view the performance of professional services as a NONCOMMERCIAL INTERNAL use of the digital content and it is allowed."
                that takes me exactly where i wanted to be, and makes me really happy!

thanks once more, you have really helped me a lot and i am truely looking forward to implementing that great tool of your's at my customers'
                greez klaus

Comment

Working...
                X