Homepage | Products | OX Knowledge Base | Support | Try Now | Contact | Company
OX Logo

Thread: ram consuption

firebird Guest

Question ram consuption

hi guys!
    as far as i can see ox uses up 750 out of 1024 mb ram permanently.
    as this is no heavy payload installation, but only a hand full of people will use it, i hope it will run also with less ram allocated.
    can anybody please point me a way to teach ox to use less memory?
    thx in advance!
    klaus

Rene Stach Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    hi guys!
    as far as i can see ox uses up 750 out of 1024 mb ram permanently.
    as this is no heavy payload installation, but only a hand full of people will use it, i hope it will run also with less ram allocated.
    can anybody please point me a way to teach ox to use less memory?
    thx in advance!
    klaus
    That is not quite correct. Referring to Open-Xchange Express Edition I can say, that it uses 750MB RAM. But these 750MB are used by OX, Java, MySQL, Cyrus, and other components. The actual OX memory usage is much less than the 750 MB.

The good news: This is the usual load when about 35 people are using the system normally. We recommend to have 2GM RAm for 50 concurrent users and 4GB for 250 concurrent users. Concurrent users means, users who are right now using the groupware system and performing actions. So, if you have 100 users and normally 20 are actively using the system less than 1GB RAM is ok. I don't recommend it, but it is ok.

René

Klaus,

which processes are eating so much memory? I just took a look at a productive server and the open-xchange processes use about 190mbytes of memory combined. Please note that the memory management of the java virtual machine may use up more space than it requires to cache stuff. It's quite normal that the open-xchange processes take 100mbyte without workload, but it will not use up more space linear or exponential to the amount of users.

Greetings

firebird Guest

thanx for answering so quickly!
    in this precise case i got 15 total users so maybe 3-5 concurring users.
    and sorry for haven expressed myself a little unsharply, i meant if i open java console and have a look at the system summary or the jvm tab it says that it uses 750 out of 1024 mb ram.
    which means that is not even mysql, apache, cyrus, postfix, etc... but obviously only java.
    i remember to have read a comment somewhere that you can use some command to limit the amount of ram that java reserves, but i haven't found out yet, how to...?
    thxngreez
    klaus

Hi,

you may configure JVM Memory at the following file. But only if you know what you are doing

/opt/open-xchange/etc/groupware/ox-scriptconf.sh

Greetings

firebird Guest

ok, first of all i deffinitely don't know what i am doing XD

further for some reason that i also deffinitely don't understand it's down on 288mb meanwhile...
    so fortunately no need to ruin something...

Rene Stach Guest

ok, first of all i deffinitely don't know what i am doing XD

further for some reason that i also deffinitely don't understand it's down on 288mb meanwhile...
    so fortunately no need to ruin something...
    Although we have quite a good impression on how the server performance is, it is difficult to forecast the performance on different systems with different users and usage scenarios.

That's why it would be nice if you could report back here how many people are using your installation and what the server performance is: How many RAM used, how many CPU on what system. I am really curious how the server performs in differnt real-life scenarios.

René

firebird Guest

hi rene!
    yeah sure i can do that if you like me to, but i am not running it in a production environment yet, as i am not done with it yet; still looking to implement some anti spam, anti virus and a fetch mail solution...
    so far it is consuming absolutely no cpu and about 200-300mb ram (<-me single user )
    at the moment i am running it on my test machine, which is a 3ghz pentium with 1gb ram.
    i'll report back here as soon as i get to install it at some customer's
    greez, klaus
    Last edited by firebird; 10-02-2007 at 10:33 AM.

so far it is consuming absolutely no cpu and about 200-300mb ram (<-me single user )
    What is consuming 200-300 mb RAM?

It is much more hepfull if you provide us real output:
    'cat /proc/meminfo'
    'ps -aux'
    'vmstat'
    (...)

Daniel
    Last edited by Rene Stach; 10-03-2007 at 09:33 AM.

firebird Guest

Arrow

well, sry m8, but no ps aux.
    vmstat and /proc/meminfo is here:

nopaste.org

further i have quite a few server daemons running:
    nmbd
    smbd
    nfsd
    proftpd
    cupsd
    sshd
    nx-server
    openvpn
    3x eggdrop (irc service- and security-bots)

further ubuntu-desktop (gnome) with compiz-fusion and emerald (as i said before me luuvs eye-candy:])

iptables configured and running with nat (firewalled router).

and of course all that belongs to ox (postfix, apache, mysqld, etc...)

all in all that should explain why i have 41mb ram free

your's klaus