Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about memory requirements for Installation on Virtual Linux Box (1+1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about memory requirements for Installation on Virtual Linux Box (1+1)

Hi All

I want to install from the scratch the latest Open-Xchange Server 7 on a little Virtual Linux Box with CentOS 6 and 2 GB Memory (plus 2 GB "DYNAMIC RAM", what ever this means).
    I plan to administrate 5 Accounts to test this Groupware. All the staff, e.g. Parallel Panel, MySQL 5.5, Postfilx-Emailserver, IMAP-Server and the Apache 2.2 with a self-written Movie-Credit-Database (on MySQL incl. Replication on a INNO-DB) has to run on this little poor machine. :-(
    (The Open-Xchange Server does not need a separate Direcotry-Server, like LDAP, X.500, no authentication-server like Kerberos, but a filestore)

So I follow the Installation Guide and tried to install the Software from the official Open-Xchange-Repository (CentOS 6).

But after the command: /opt/open-xchange/sbin/oxinstaller --no-license --servername=oxserver --configdb-pass=xxxxxxx --master-pass=xxxxxxx --network-listener-host=xx.domain.de --servermemory "1024" (or "512") the command (registerserver) led to unstable results (the Apache with phpmyadmin did not do, what he has to do anymore) and the error messages were either:
    server could not be registered:
    Server response:
    error during JRMP connection establishment; nested exception is:
    java.io.EOFException ..... Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread OR later with "--servermemory 512":
    /opt/open-xchange/lib/oxfunctions.sh: fork: Cannot allocate memory

So, I've learned the critical resource issue to install and run this software is the system memory (I have already read the whitepaper about the memory reqirements of the JVM)

For this needs described above, here is my Question: IS IT REALLY REALISTIC TO GO ON TRYING TO INSTALL AND RUN THIS SOFTWARE ON THIS VM ???? or do I have first to switch to an Root-Server with 8 GB at least??? (Has anybody here already installed this server on this machine ???)

Thanks for your replies
    Hans from Munich

I have Open-Xchange running on a VM with 1GB.
    On that machine I only got OX, Apache and MySQL running but this works stable (even with two readerengine instances running).
    This is not for many users but more than 5 actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang Rosenauer View Post
      I have Open-Xchange running on a VM with 1GB.
      On that machine I only got OX, Apache and MySQL running but this works stable (even with two readerengine instances running).
      This is not for many users but more than 5 actually.
      Hallo Wolfgang

Vielen Dank für die Beantwortung meiner Anfrage.
      1. Was heißt "I only got OX", dass müßte doch für Email, Kontakte, und Aufgaben reichen. Ist damit auch der Filestore, also das versionierte Bearbeiten einer Datei von mehreren Leuten mit eingeschlossen?

2. Und warum bekomme ich die oben beschriebenen Fehlermeldungen? (Ich habe mich strikt an die Installationsanleitung gehalten!!)

Grüße
      Hans

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by haenschen View Post
        Hallo Wolfgang

Vielen Dank für die Beantwortung meiner Anfrage.
        1. Was heißt "I only got OX", dass müßte doch für Email, Kontakte, und Aufgaben reichen. Ist damit auch der Filestore, also das versionierte Bearbeiten einer Datei von mehreren Leuten mit eingeschlossen?

2. Und warum bekomme ich die oben beschriebenen Fehlermeldungen? (Ich habe mich strikt an die Installationsanleitung gehalten!!)

Grüße
        Hans
        zu 1) Ich wollte damit nur sagen, dass SMTP und IMAP in meinem Fall auf einem anderen Server laufen. "Drive" ist auf diesem auch aktiv.
        sowie OX Text, Spreadsheet Beta und EAS. Concurrent User sind aber tatsächlich im Rahmen von 5.

zu 2) Es sieht tatsächlich nach zu wenig Speicher aus. Servermemory 512 ist evtl. zu knapp. Mit 640 habe ich aber fast noch nie Probleme gehabt.
        Die Frage ist nur, ob dieser Speicher auch zur Verfügung steht? Wenn schon ein fork() fehlschlägt, ist vielleicht nicht mal dieser Speicher
        verfügbar?

Comment

Working...
        X