Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX on Centos, DirectAdmin and Exim

Hi,
    I'm completely newbie about collaboration servers and I apologize if this is a frequent request or I'm boring you. I tried to found answers in google and in this forum but I didn't have success.
    I need to install OX Community Edition on an existing server with CentOS 6 64bit, Directadmin with Cutombuild 2 (Exim, MySQL, Dovecot, Php 5.3, etc.). Exim & Dovecot are already working fine, so my need is to install OX without modifying the mail server.
    So my question is: can OX work with Exim/Dovecot without compromising their operability?
    I read that OX doesn't have an administrator interface? Is it correct? If yes, are there some workarounds or GUI to use?
    What are the minimum requirements for OX server?
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Regards,

Marco

So first the good news. OX does not touch your mailservice at all. It behaves as an IMAP client only. Both EXIM and Dovecot are no problem at all.
    Open-Xchange does not come with a _web_ administration interface which is correct. There are "interfaces" but those are RMI, SOAP and CLI.
    There are solutions for existing control panels like Univention, CPanel, Parallels or ISPconfig but I haven't heard of "directadmin" before. Probably you can convince these guys to implement an integration to the OX interfaces ;-)

Other options are (I haven't tried them myself but heard about them):

The question would be what you actually want to administrate?
    The only thing you usually do is creating and modifying users. If your users live in LDAP there is also oxldapsync available to synchronize users between an LDAP tree and OX. My guess is that directadmin holds all that in a database? Unfortunately there is no sync tool available for that.

Comment

Hi Wolfgang,
      first of all thanks for your answer.
      I'm surpised that you haven't heard of DirectAdmin before; it's a good control panel (lighter and cheaper than Cpanel and Plesk) that I'm using from more ten years ago; www.directadmin.com
      Anyway, you are right: the question is what I need to administrate, or better, what I need from OX.
      Now, we create and host web sites of our customers and we are managing their email accounts. No problem with tools we use (Exim, Dovecot and Roundcube for webmail) but a customer asked us a solution to manage his emails, collaboration tools and shared calendars. I saw the OX demo and I think it's awesome! So, do you think OX Community Edition could solve my customer's request?
      It's not a problem to manually replicate every email account from Directadmin to OX. Or do you think are there other solutions?
      Thanks again for the time you spent for me.
      Regards,
      Marco

Comment

In OX you need to create accounts for all mailboxes.
        As explained you could look into the two options mentioned earlier. I hope one is working for you. Otherwise you would need to replicate the accounts manually via CLT or really write a script to provision the users from directadmin into OX.
        With the information I found on their website I don't see an obvious way to hook custom actions into their product though.

Comment

Working...
        X