Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One User, two computers -> entries will be duplicated and more problems

Hi all,

i'm using OX:Hyperion since some weeks. Now we have an user, which wants to use its account from office and also out off office, with diferent computers. At both comps he is using Outlook 2003 and Funambol to sync with Hyperion, which seems to work without problems. But if he is logging into OX from one PC and after this he's logging from the other he is getting many reminder-messages of old appointments. Then he is closing all of them, but when he is switching again to the other computer, he will get them again. Not enough: each time he get different reminders, sometimes ten, sometimes twenty and so on!

Simmilar problem: most of his contacts has a birthday-entry and Outlook should show them as calendar-entries (aon top of each day). And sometimes (not always, but mostly) these birthday-entries are duplicating. So if he is logging in five times a day from out of office and inbetween the computer at the office is still running, then he will get each birthday-entry up to five times.

So what can we do? In the mid of january i have to speak to some people, which have to decide about implementing a groupware for 50 users in the first stage. I need help urgently!

regards, Jens

Originally posted by jennix View Post
    i'm using OX:Hyperion since some weeks. Now we have an user, which wants to use its account from office and also out off office, with diferent computers. At both comps he is using Outlook 2003 and Funambol to sync with Hyperion, which seems to work without problems. [...]

So what can we do? In the mid of january i have to speak to some people, which have to decide about implementing a groupware for 50 users in the first stage. I need help urgently!
    I guess there are too many different products involved: Hyperion, funambol, Outlook. Try to get rid of some components and try again: Do you see the same problems without Outlook just using the Hyperion web interface? Can you reproduce the same errors with OXEE + OXtender for Outlook. If yes, it seems to be a problem with Hyperion. If not, it seems to be related to the funambol connector for Outlook. My guess(!) is that the funambol connector has some flaws which lead to such problems. I have never heard of such severe problems with Hyperion itself or any similar OX product with the OXtender for MS Outlook before.

René
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Stach View Post
      I guess there are too many different products involved: Hyperion, funambol, Outlook. Try to get rid of some components and try again: Do you see the same problems without Outlook just using the Hyperion web interface? Can you reproduce the same errors with OXEE + OXtender for Outlook. If yes, it seems to be a problem with Hyperion. If not, it seems to be related to the funambol connector for Outlook. My guess(!) is that the funambol connector has some flaws which lead to such problems. I have never heard of such severe problems with Hyperion itself or any similar OX product with the OXtender for MS Outlook before.

René
      Dont have an OX:EE-Installation at this time, so i have to set up one first to try this. With the webinterface the problem is not reproducable, so i think you're right with your guess that the problem is within the funambol-part. I will look into it...

regards, Jens

Comment

Originally posted by jennix View Post
        Dont have an OX:EE-Installation at this time, so i have to set up one first to try this. With the webinterface the problem is not reproducable, so i think you're right with your guess that the problem is within the funambol-part. I will look into it...
        An OXEE installation should be quite easy. I guess after 1 hour you should have a server running, the eval OXtender for MS Outlook installed and configured and you should be able to try it.

The thing about the funambol server is, that there are a lot of components that have to work together. The funambol connector for Open-Xchange connects the funambol server with the Open-Xchange server. Then there is the funambol connector for MS Outlook. Now take a very special case as example: Create in OX a recurring appointment and change one occurance of it in a way that 2 occurances happen at the same day. This works easily with OX but Outlook cannot handle this. While the OXtender for MS Outlook takes care of this because it is designed for OX-Outlook, I doubt that such special cases are handled by two onnectors that have not been specially designed to work together.

I think most of the problems that you experience are of the same kind: Everything works at either end, but if you plug both ends together more or less special cases are not handled properly.

Back to your "people that you have to talk to in January". If they are serious about using a groupware in a business environment, you should consider OXEE with the OXtender for MS Outlook. It is designed to work with each other and you get support for it. So you are on the safe side and it is quite unlikely that problems show up that you cannot easily find a solution for.

René

Comment

Working...
        X