How to set the domain name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set the domain name

I have been looking at the wiki for installing Open-Xchange on Ubuntu 8.04 and it has the following illustration for creating a new user at the domain ''example.com'', which I assume I can change to be my own domain.

$ /opt/open-xchange/sbin/createuser -c 1 -A oxadmin -P secret -u testuser \
    -d "Test User" -g Test -s User -p secret -e testuser@example.com \
    --imaplogin testuser --imapserver 127.0.0.1 --smtpserver 127.0.0.1

However, my question is, how do I tell Open-Xchange what my domain is called when I first install it? Does it simply rely on the configuration of /etc/hosts, whereby I have specified my fully qualified domain name?

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.1 ubuntumail.abccompany.com ubuntumail

Hi,

the fqdn of domain name of the host is irrelevant to the Open-Xchange server. You just configure a user account with a specific e-mail account on a (remote) imap/smtp server which knows and handles @example.com.

Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
      You just configure a user account with a specific e-mail account on a (remote) imap/smtp server which knows and handles @example.com.
      Greetings
      Thanks. I'm slightly confused by the last point, "which knows and handles". Is there a command necessary for setting this up the domain in Open-Xchange?

Comment

The domain is only handled by the mailserver, not by Open-Xchange Server. You do not need to set up a domain at ox. The domain and mailing stuff needs to be done at the mailserver.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Braun View Post
          The domain is only handled by the mailserver, not by Open-Xchange Server. You do not need to set up a domain at ox. The domain and mailing stuff needs to be done at the mailserver.
          Thanks Martin. I thought Open-Xchange server was the mailserver. If not, then what is the mailserver? Sorry, I'm clearly not following you properly here.

Comment

Hi,

no problem
            Open-Xchange is groupware. The primary point is, that it can be integrated to existing environments. Thats a clear difference to products like Zimbra that ship all the stuff. You need to install and configure a mail server (e.g Postfix) and a IMAP mailbox service (e.g. Cyrus). Then you can configure OX user accounts to use those services via --imapserver --smtpserver and --imaplogin. The password for user accounts at the mail backend needs to be equal to the password of the OX account.

Greetings

Comment

Working...
            X