Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't we (CE) get updated anymore?

Hi,

I'm running openXChange Version : 6.20.0 Rev8 (2011-04-21 12:40:37) on my homeserver powered by Debian 5.
    I was surfing on the open-xchange.com homepage und just for fun logged in on the demo setup. And whats this: They are running Rev27

I double checked my server but there are no updates available. My questions is: Did I missed something or isn't the CE updated anymore?!?

Cheers,
    Christoph Häfner

Hi Christoph,

you'll find a most recent version at the "snapshot" repository. This one contains the latest version and is updated every day.

Greetings

Comment

Hi Martin,

do community users get the normal bugfix updates, too? Or we have to use this snapshot repository? Your comment "update every day" sounds like bleeding edge

Best regrads,
      Patrick
      --

Comment

And even further it sounds like, "there take the bone, I dont even care about you."

In my opinion this is currently the so called state of the art commercial open source development.

A few months ago, I was forced to evaluate an mail arichvar software, same business model.
        Unfortunatly it couldn't handle more than 10000 Mails. A hard coded integer in the source code for the oss version.

The software was good, but how can I recommend such a software to a customer?
        How certain can I be that this limit is fixed in a payed software.

The same goes for openXchange. How can I be certain, that the other versions fixed the sent-mail display bug?

Next time a customer asks me, what do you recommend?

I only can tell him, I am supposed to use a snapshot or kinda unsopported version to evaluate the current development
        version of software X. Means I can not tell him how this version works in a "kinda" productional enviroment.
        Further I cannot tell if an update from version x to version x.1 can be done without any trouble or configuration
        changes.

For sure you want the oss version to be tested and in a counter draw you throw out the snapshot stuff.
        I am a software engineer, so I know what snapshot version are and whatfor they are supposed.

Honestly no one needs snapshot versions which just verify your build process was successful.
        Snapshot versions are nothing less or more. It's bleeding edge stuff, which only shows nobody broke the system
        so bad that the build process was unsuccessful.

So honestly, are we supposed to install such versions and maybe judge your software based on snapshots?
        If I tell this to a customer, what do you think he answers me?

I'm not speaking of hire 5 men full time to throw out release after release for the oss version. But no update over a
        year on the oss version, this is just ridiculous.
        If your software cycle process is in any way serious, there are versions, based on snapshots, which are not
        ready for production yet, but fine for the oss version.

What do you get?

Customer based tests, which your test cases can never achieve.

And that is for sure one of the most beneficial things you can get in software development.
        (Further it saves you 5 trainees. )

To come to an end, if you want your software tested, give us some "real meat". If you don't just tell us
        and rely on your JUnit tests and Jenkins builds or whatsoever.
        But please don't answer a question with "grab the snapshot versions PERIOD", this is like spitting in
        the face of any software developer, who knows what snapshot versions are supposed to be.

"BUILDING ... ... ... [ok]" -> mail developers "Build ok, you broke nothing" -> upload to ftp snapshot dir -> now forget it

just my two cent, btw I like your software. Really!

Comment

Originally posted by evildead View Post
          I only can tell him, I am supposed to use a snapshot or kinda unsopported version to evaluate the current development
          version of software X. Means I can not tell him how this version works in a "kinda" productional enviroment.
          Further I cannot tell if an update from version x to version x.1 can be done without any trouble or configuration
          changes.

[...]

I'm not speaking of hire 5 men full time to throw out release after release for the oss version. But no update over a
          year on the oss version, this is just ridiculous.
          If your software cycle process is in any way serious, there are versions, based on snapshots, which are not
          ready for production yet, but fine for the oss version.
          To answer to some of your concerns.

We usually release a Community Edition for major and minor releases but not for patch releases. The last major/minor release was 6.20 which is still the current released version. The revision currently available to our customers is a patch release which is reserved for paying customers. In addition there is this snapshot which might not be the best choice for everyone, granted.
          As you see in the snapshot we are working on 6.20.1 which will be released as Community Edition again beginning of next year FWIW.

Our release cycle used to be faster before 6.20 but by the way 6.20 is not over a year old as you suggested ;-)

For evaluation we also offer evaluation licenses to get the latest patch releases as well which can be requested on our website.

I hope this addresses some of your concerns.

Wolfgang

Comment

Hi Wolfgang,

thanks for the reply. I was not aware that the last updates were widely patch releases for 6.20. I have some Advanced Server installations running by customers and get frequently "oxae-announce Digest"-messages. So I wondered why there are frequently updates, but never for the community edition.

In my opinion, running an open-source-based business model, it is your responsibility to take care of the community, despite earning money. It was not my intention to offend you in any way, just a little wake up and start caring again.
            I honestly think most of us, working in this business, use open-source-software in some way and are happy when they at least get their bugs fixed from "time to time".
            Im not sure if you use a Eclipse Nightly Snapshot-Version which fixed bug X for developing, but I doubt that.

Nevertheless, thanks for your answer and keep your good work going, just give the community an update in words or software from time to time.

Comment

Working...
            X