dnd copy/move operation in GUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dnd copy/move operation in GUI

Is there a way to toggle the dnd of an object from one folder to another folder to be a copy or move action depending on, say, the ctrl key being pressed at the time the dnd is initiated to make the action switch from move to copy (or whatever...).

This is pretty common in other GUI interfaces, so I figure it's in OX somewhere. I think this functionality is in there somewhere but I'm not sure if it's really there or not and how to activate it from the gui.

I'd like to give a client the ability to use dnd for both operations w/user-controlled toggle. This would keep them from having to use the dropdown menu to do the copy via the (very nice but requiring a few extra clicks) folder tree popup window.

TIA.

Originally posted by mendosoft View Post
    Is there a way to toggle the dnd of an object from one folder to another folder to be a copy or move action depending on, say, the ctrl key being pressed at the time the dnd is initiated to make the action switch from move to copy (or whatever...).
    No, there is not at the moment. We have thought about this and it seems to be quite a difficult topic: What happens when you drag an appointment to a shared folder of someone else? Is that person added, does that person replace you, doesn't anything happen?

As there are many similar questions and there does not seem to be an obvious solution (and we haven't spent our time on finding a solution), we have not added such a feature so far. What do you think should happen, when items are dragged from one of your folders to folders of someone else?

René

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Stach View Post
      What do you think should happen, when items are dragged from one of your folders to folders of someone else?
      Exactly the same thing that happens when you select Move or Copy from the menu at the top?

mendosoft asked for a shortcut to an existing feature, not for an entirely new one. And since the implementation of the shortcut is client-side-only, while the nightmare of appointment participants is server-side-only, the issues have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor Pracht View Post
        Exactly the same thing that happens when you select Move or Copy from the menu at the top?

mendosoft asked for a shortcut to an existing feature, not for an entirely new one. And since the implementation of the shortcut is client-side-only, while the nightmare of appointment participants is server-side-only, the issues have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
        Yeah, I really like the dnd feature of OX and sell it as a feature to the services we sell around OX. There are times when a person wants to 'relocate/move' an object from one folder to another, other times when they want to 'duplicate/copy' an object from one folder to another.

It's clear the dd menu let's you do copies/duplicates through a multi-step process (shows folder tree [very cool!], look around for target folder, and select - done!), but an optionable key press (ctl key?) on the gui side to toggle from 'move' (the default) to 'copy' (w/ctrl key pressed) would be a nice extension. It helps new OX (simple) users out by keeping them out of the folder tree drop down during these operations, which can be confusing for the simple user.

We even have a request to have 'reference' folders that intercept all attempts to move objects from specific folders and convert the move operation into a 'copy' (or even a 'link'). This would allow them to manage objects better by tagging specific folder types with these behaviours. I realize this *might* be done via built-in OX OCL, but I'm not sure - TBD.

We're thinking of implementing these enhancements on the server side by enhancing OX folder types and let the user just do the default dnd and let the server do the decision making in some cases (where we want to only allow copies and/or only allow links - but not allow object move/relocation).

Now OX can get this done w/built in links, etc., so you can get there with existing functionality. But these are not single dnd operations and require 'a few more clicks' to get it done. Again, not a big deal, but our clients really like to minimize clicks wherever possible.

TIA for the dialogue.

Comment

Working...
        X