Homepage | Products | OX Knowledge Base | Support | Try Now | Contact | Company
OX Logo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    marcw Guest

    Default Ubuntu Feisty problems

    I'm running Ubuntu 64bit Feisty (server only - no X window) on a new machine. Yes, Feisty won't be released for a couple days but this is a fresh server install that's been updated of what will likely be the final release.

    I've tried 2 fresh OX installs using the install doc that both resulted in the same problem. (I did the second one just in case I missed something the first time). Actually, there's 2 problems.

    The installation went very well as I precisely followed the instructions. I used the Feisty repos for all requirements and dependencies. Note - I did use Sun Java6 JDK from the repos instead of Java5. (Could this be the problem?).

    Problem #1
    Every instruction and test succeeded as documented until I got to 4.4 IV.4. Open-Xchange GUI. The instruction says:

    Code:
    Now call the startup script to power on the groupware engine
    & /opt/open-xchange/sbin/open-xchange-groupware
    But when I do that the command stays in the foreground - the prompt doesn't return. So I ran it as a background task instead. Was that wrong?

    Problem #2
    When I get to 5.2.4 V.2.4. Restart, the instructions say:

    Code:
    Now restart saslauthd and cyrus and try to login with user oxadmin and password: <YOUROXADMINPASSWORDFROMINSTALL>
    I'm assuming that the login it's referring to is an OX login through a browser. If so, the browser prompt I get is in German (I think). Even though I can't read German I'm pretty sure it's asking for credentials. When I type in "oxadmin" and my oxadmin password, it returns some German text which I'm sorry I can't understand. But it's not a 404 or 503 error, just some text. I should've translated it in Google or Bablefish but I wasn't thinking. I'll do that tonight.

    That's as far as I've gotten. I haven't performed the remaining steps (Postfix) instead opting to get these issues fixed first.

    Please help me figure out the next steps to diagnose this. Thanks!

  2. #2
    altariq Guest

    Default

    Soneone changed the wiki a few days or weeks ago. Before the command was:

    /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start

    Post the german text, many of the users and developers understand this.
    i think its something like username and/or password is wrong or service is not runnuing. thats the only errors i know.

  3. #3
    marcw Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by altariq View Post
    Soneone changed the wiki a few days or weeks ago. Before the command was:
    /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start
    Are you sure? The reason I ask is because a bit earlier in the docs it says to run:
    "/etc/init.d/open-xchange-admin start"

    which for me worked fine but which is similar to the command you refer to. It's the other one - /opt/open-xchange/sbin/open-xchange-groupware - which behaves as I described in my original post.

    As far as the German (I think) text, here's some screenshots.
    1) the credential prompt showing German
    2) the error received when /opt/open-xchange/sbin/open-xchange-groupware is not running (the one I start in the background because it doesn't want to return)
    3) the error I receive when #2 is running.
    Last edited by marcw; 04-18-2007 at 03:38 AM. Reason: completeness

  4. #4
    playworker Guest

    Default

    Problem #1: This is the same for me, works fine if you run it as a background task.

    Problem #2: I think this step is just asking you to check that you can log in to Cyrus okay - I used the Cyrus admin tool (cyradm) to check this - try
    Code:
    cyradm -u oxadmin localhost
    it should prompt you for your password then give you a
    Code:
    localhost>
    prompt if everything is working okay - type "quit" to exit.

    My login screen is in German as well, wouldn't mind knowing how to switch it to English if anyone knows?!
    Last edited by playworker; 04-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.

  5. #5
    Francisco Laguna Guest

    Default

    I'll try to clear things up a bit:

    The installation places to scripts in /etc/init.d/ (that's the directory where linux likes to keep start/stop scripts for deamon processes). One is open-xchage-admin which start/stops the admindaemon which is the backend for the createuser, deleteuser... scripts (it manages users, groups and resources). The other is 'open-xchange-groupware' which is the backend for the web GUI.

    All the error message tells you, is that the login failed (as if you didn't notice that ;-) ) Please start the groupware with /etc/init.d/open-xchange-groupware start and try this again. If it doesn't work, have a look at /var/log/open-xchange/open-xchange-console.log and /var/log/open-xchange/open-xchange.log.0 for signs of weirdness.

    The next place to recheck is the apache/mod_jk setup. Error 503 usually means that the apache can't talk to the groupware server for some reason (most likely because it didn't start correctly).

  6. #6
    playworker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Laguna View Post
    The installation places to scripts in /etc/init.d/ (that's the directory where linux likes to keep start/stop scripts for deamon processes). One is open-xchage-admin which start/stops the admindaemon which is the backend for the createuser, deleteuser... scripts (it manages users, groups and resources). The other is 'open-xchange-groupware' which is the backend for the web GUI.
    I'd double check that because my version only installed the one startup script into /etc/init.d and that was the open-xchange-admin one mentioned in the Wiki install guide...

    Edit: Just checked and there is a startup script located in /tmp/open-xchange/etc/init.d but the installer didn't copy it across and there were no error messages
    Last edited by playworker; 04-18-2007 at 12:55 PM.

  7. #7
    marcw Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by playworker View Post
    Problem #2: I think this step is just asking you to check that you can log in to Cyrus okay - I used the Cyrus admin tool (cyradm) to check this
    You might be right. Cyradmin gives me this:

    marcw@server1-feisty:/etc/init.d$ sudo cyradm -u oxadmin localhost
    IMAP Password:
    Login failed: authentication failure at /usr/lib/perl5/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 119
    cyradm: cannot authenticate to server as oxadmin

    I'll have to look into this further tonight.

    Although I had to sperately install cyrus-admin-2.2 from the repo in order to run this command. That wasn't in the docs.

  8. #8
    marcw Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Laguna View Post
    The installation places to scripts in /etc/init.d/ (that's the directory where linux likes to keep start/stop scripts for deamon processes). One is open-xchage-admin which start/stops the admindaemon which is the backend for the createuser, deleteuser... scripts (it manages users, groups and resources). The other is 'open-xchange-groupware' which is the backend for the web GUI.
    Ok, but then both the installer and the instructions are both incorrect. Not only is open-xchange-groupware not referenced in the instructions the way you say, the installer doesn't put it in /etc/init.d either. It stays in /opt/open-xchange/sbin like the instructions state. Also, in looking at that file, it doesn't look like a normal init.d daemon. There's no case logic inside for start, stop, restart, etc.

  9. #9
    playworker Guest

    Default

    Yeah, looks like your Cyrus/SASL setup isn't working properly - make sure everything out of Section V in the install guide is correct and also double-check your /etc/imapd.conf, mine had some SQL authentication stuff in there which needed commenting out (Gentoo though so might be completely irrelevant to you )

  10. #10
    playworker Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    Ok, but then both the installer and the instructions are both incorrect. Not only is open-xchange-groupware not referenced in the instructions the way you say, the installer doesn't put it in /etc/init.d either. It stays in /opt/open-xchange/sbin like the instructions state. Also, in looking at that file, it doesn't look like a normal init.d daemon. There's no case logic inside for start, stop, restart, etc.
    The init.d daemon referred to is the one in /tmp/open-xchange/etc/init.d (or whatever your compilation dir was) I have a feeling it's not getting copied across by the install script (or at least mine wasn't)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •