Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic authentication (CalDav/CardDav): Trailing spaces in passwords removed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic authentication (CalDav/CardDav): Trailing spaces in passwords removed?

Hi,

While trying to debug some rejected logins from our users, I think I've found a bug in how passwords are processed for basic authentication: passwords ending with a simple space are rejected from Basic Authentication (for e.g. CalDav or CardDav).
    I think I have traced it down to https://github.com/open-xchange/apps...java#L206-L211 :
    Code:
    public static Credentials decode(final String auth) throws UnsupportedCharsetException {
        final byte[] decoded = Base64.decode(auth.substring(BASIC_AUTH.length() + 1));
        String userpass = new String(decoded, com.openexchange.java.Charsets.UTF_8).trim();
        if (userpass.indexOf(UNKNOWN) >= 0) {
            userpass = new String(decoded, com.openexchange.java.Charsets.ISO_8859_1).trim();
        }
    It's clear that after being base64-decoded and decoded from a charset point of view, the resulting `${user}:${password}` is trimmed.
    As a result, trailing spaces in a password (or leading spaces in a username if that's even supported) are removed.
    I tried to trace the execution around, to see if the username and password were supposed to be encoded to protect this trailing space, but I didn't find anything.

Why is there a trim here? There seems to be no mention of trailing space or new line in RFC7617

Thanks in advance!

Hi and thanks for the report.

I have to admit that I never tried a password with trailing space myself so can you confirm that such a passwords work for normal web logins and so on and just fail for DAV?

Comment

Hi again,

This will land in 7.10.5 which should be out somewhen early February

Comment

Hi!
        Sorry for the late update.
        Yes, normal web logins work (at least in our setup, with an IMAP & LDAP backend).
        Thanks for the fix!

Comment

Working...
        X