Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating just a public folder

Hi,

I want to create a simple folder in "public folder" where I can store contacts, calendars and so on. But I can create only contacts, calendars and task and not a simple folder...

Is this a bug or is it by design?

Very cool would be to create a folder structure and put contacts, tasks, calendars, infostore, forum, wiki, bookmarks and so on into this folder:
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2007, 04:02 PM.

Originally posted by neo View Post
    I want to create a simple folder in "public folder" where I can store contacts, calendars and so on. But I can create only contacts, calendars and task and not a simple folder...
    This is by design as there are clients which are not able to handle simple folders (Outlook) and synchronization with such clients is horrible if simple folders are used in the web GUI. Various solutions to this problems are being discussed and for the time being OX6 does not allow to create simple folders. In case you have a good suggestions what happens to simple folders in e.g. Outlook, please let us know.

René

Comment

Yep, unbound folders are a horror-trip in Outlook

As a workaround you may organize your different objects (contact/calendar/task/infostore) by linking. This has been made very easy in Hyperion.

Comment

Outlook is a horror-trip

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Stach View Post
          This is by design as there are clients which are not able to handle simple folders (Outlook) and synchronization with such clients is horrible if simple folders are used in the web GUI. Various solutions to this problems are being discussed and for the time being OX6 does not allow to create simple folders. In case you have a good suggestions what happens to simple folders in e.g. Outlook, please let us know.

René

I'm not quite sure if I got it right. With OX5 it was possible to create unbound folders. What's the situation with Outlook for those folders?
          Does it work properly with the oxtender. I don't have Outlook, even a MS operating system. so I cannot check/verify it.

Comment

It worked some way but very fragile. This was a concept collision of outlook and the oxtender. You'll have to ask Leonardo for this if you need in-deep details.

Comment

Originally posted by neo View Post
              I'm not quite sure if I got it right. With OX5 it was possible to create unbound folders. What's the situation with Outlook for those folders?
              It is a big mess which creates many problems. Outlook cannot handle such folders so the OX5 Outlook OXtender mapped unbound folders in OX with mail folders in Outlook. Then some people tried to save POP3 mail inside these folders which have not be synchronized back because there is no mail in unbound folders and OX5 does not store POP mail (it's only stored locally, not on server). So, empty folders appeared in the web GUI encouraging people to delete those which made Outlook delete the mail folder incl. the POP3 mails. As I said: A big mess.

So, for the time being, we have decided not to offer such unbound folders until we have found a way that makes Outlook able to handle such situations properly. There are some ideas around but nothing has been decided yet.

René

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Stach View Post
                It is a big mess which creates many problems. Outlook cannot handle such folders so the OX5 Outlook OXtender mapped unbound folders in OX with mail folders in Outlook. Then some people tried to save POP3 mail inside these folders which have not be synchronized back because there is no mail in unbound folders and OX5 does not store POP mail (it's only stored locally, not on server). So, empty folders appeared in the web GUI encouraging people to delete those which made Outlook delete the mail folder incl. the POP3 mails. As I said: A big mess.

So, for the time being, we have decided not to offer such unbound folders until we have found a way that makes Outlook able to handle such situations properly. There are some ideas around but nothing has been decided yet.

René
                Wow, that's a big mess, really. If there's something I can do, just drop me a PM

Comment

Working...
                X