Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've installed Open-Xchange (CE) - now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've installed Open-Xchange (CE) - now what?

Hi I am a programmer and a server maintenance guy. I am relatively new to Linux but not to mail servers, I've run many over the years, I decided I would set up Open-Xchange as a mail server, that will work with AD and Provide a Calendar which all integrate into outlook. I decided to use CentOS 6.2 as the server. I was able to get it to work well despite the official lack of support by using the CentOS5 and the RHEL6 installation guides.

Once I had installed it I became quite confused about the roles that Open-Xchange actually takes. I was expecting a server and I got what looks like a web client. There is a lot of information but very little (for me) basic outline of the product. To be fair to me, I have found a fair amount of posts about this confusion.

So here are my questions.
    1. Can Open-Xchange easily be made be the server for the outlook client. And does this include Calendar facilities?
    2. If Open-xchange isn't the mail server, what is?
    3. I have heard tell of Dovecot, Cyrus, postfix, openldap what are their roles?
    Last edited by conanman; 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM.

Hi,

Originally posted by conanman View Post
    1. Can Open-Xchange easily be made be the server for the outlook client. And does this include Calendar facilities?
    2. If Open-xchange isn't the mail server, what is?
    3. I have heard tell of Dovecot, Cyrus, postfix, openldap what are their roles?
    1. OX-CE (CommunityEdition) can't sync Calendar-Facilities with Outlook. Why make SW open for closed Systems? Yes, it can with Thunderbird and it comes with a perfect WebGUI.
    2. OX is a Famework for eMail, Calendar, ......Infostore and so on. It needs some basic tools like imap-Server, mailserver, database a.s.o.
    3. Yeah, what are dovecot/cyrus? imap-servers. OX supports both. postfix = mailserver, ldap = auth.tools (you can use auth by mysql alternative)

If you want to integrate the calendar-stuff from Outlook, you have to buy OX-SE oder OX-ASE. You can use Outlooks-imap with the OX-CE.

HTH, Dirk

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply Dirk

I have dovecot on my Cent OS installation, as well as postfix but i'd like to use LDAP to pick up the users from AD.

So am I right in thinking is what I am *actually* trying to do is get to work together?:
      • OX
      • Dovecot
      • POSTFIX
      • (LDAP theoretically I could really use this, but there are only 15 users in the account and I could use MySQL to auth them)

I am sure I'll have to edit a few conf files! Add a Few users!

Do you know of any Manuals/Installation Guides/HowTo's/MySQL authentication/LDAP guides on these?

TIA Con

Comment

bump :-) :-)

Comment

Working...
        X