Open-Xchange Community Edition Installer released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello community,

First of all: thank you Martin for this great installer tool. It nearly worked perfect on my fresh and clean ubuntu 7.10 (not server).

I think i've had the same problem like nikolai and i probably found the mistake. When installing on a fresh system there's automatically installed mysql. At this time the installer asks you for a master password for your mysql database. If you don't let it blank (if you enter any password), you get this error, because later on the script tries to configure all the databases and stuff without using a password for mysql-root-access. Hope i'm not getting this wrong. But after deactivating the root password for mysql (temporarily ) and rerunning the script everything works fine.

Related question: is there any difference when using the ubuntu 7.10 installer with the non server edition? Are there any known problem related?

Thank you,

regards,

Timo

Comment

That's good!Glad to see it!

Comment

Hi Martin,

thanks for your great job with the installers. Have installed OX on Ubuntu 7.04 server and with Timo's hint in mind (uninstall mysql or set masterpwd to empty) it worked like a charm.

Best Regards,
        Sascha

PS: Of course thx to the complete OX-Team

Comment

Hi Community

Thanx for Open-Xchange and that Installer. (i finally managed to set it up inside a vserver after reseting the password of the mysqlrootuser.)

If i could wish a feature for the Installer, it would be the possibility to change the db-host on one place. especially as i already have a db-server that i could use. as far i've seen, the dbhost is configured on several places and it is not clear to me which i should change, when i'd like to move the db (dump -> reimport on existing db-server).

greetings and thanx for hints.ivo

Comment

/help is missing

how do i install the missing /ox/help ? or where do i get it?

Comment

admindaemon startup still in progress, waiting...

Hi
              Has anybody had any luck in figuring out what the problem is when you get the following:

admindaemon startup still in progress, waiting...

I checked the openexchange logs and it is full of the following errors:

SEVERE: Could not create sender to [127.0.0.1:57462] -- Socket is null, cannot connect to 127.0.0.1:57462
              2007/12/21 7:16:42 AM org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.lateral.socket.tcp.Latera lTCPCacheManager fixService
              SEVERE: Can't fix Socket is null, cannot connect to 127.0.0.1:57462
              2007/12/21 7:16:42 AM org.apache.jcs.auxiliary.lateral.LateralCacheResto re canFix

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Carl

Comment

Hi,

I tried the installation of OX on openSUSE 10.3 but got a lot of errors. After some attempts I got the impression that the openSUSE script is totally outdated. I compared the repositories in the openSUSE script required for the Admindaemon with those in the Installation HOWTO and saw a completely different set of packages. The HOWTO contains the following packages:

open-xchange-admin
                open-xchange-admin-console-ee
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-imap
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-mail
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-mailfilter
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-context_light
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-ca_mgmt_simple
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-osconfig
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-services
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-sw-update
                open-xchange-admin-plugin-backup

The openSUSE install script contains only the following packages:

REPOSITORY=("open-xchange"
                "open-xchange-admin"
                "open-xchange-admin-console-ee"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-imap"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-mail"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-mailfilter"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-context_light"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-ca_mgmt_simple"
                "open-xchange-gui")

The Debian install script contains only the following packages:

REPOSITORY=("open-xchange"
                "open-xchange-admin"
                "-r HEAD open-xchange-admin-console-ee"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-imap"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-mail"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-mailfilter"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-context_light"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-ca_mgmt_simple"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-osconfig"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-services"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-sw-update"
                "open-xchange-admin-plugin-backup"
                "-r HEAD json-jdk15"
                "open-xchange-gui"
                "-r HEAD open-xchange-admin-gui-ee"
                "open-xchange-admin-gui-ee-ajax"
                "open-xchange-admin-gui-ee-templates")

Is the reason for that difference the distribution? I can't believe that. Furthermore, Martin posted an info that he provided an option to select a HEAD or BF repository (http://www.open-xchange.com/forum/sh...p?t=563&page=6). But this option is missing in the openSUSE script. That's why I think that this script is not maintained any more. Does it make sense to work with this script any more?

Because of these differences I wonder why Martin wrote different scripts at all. Different scripts mean that all enhancements must be incorporated in every script again and again. I believe that it would be better to provide one single script for all distributions and divide this script into those parts what are distribution dependent and in others what are common to all distributions. With such a script all distributions would benefit from enhancements.

Because I am sick and tired now I want to ask to provide the locations of all packages what should go into /opt/open-xchange/lib. I think some errors are caused because I didn't find exactly the same version for all packages as required for the build. The installer archive creates two directories with only 11 files: jar and src. But /opt/open-xchange/lib needs 22 files so that I miss 11 files at the moment. Furthermore, I noticed that the 11 files in the Debian and in the openSUSE archive are not the same. The wiki doesn't mention that the distributions need different versions so that I think the issue here is the lack of maintenance of the openSUSE script. It would be nice if you could post the remaining locations of the exactly required versions of the remaining files.

Thanks a lot in advance.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2007, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Hi there,

if you mind taking a closer look to the changelog it says "added option to check out HEAD or BF branch (debian, ubuntu)" - debian, ubuntu does not include opensuse in this case.
                  Also, if you take a deeper look at the installer you'll notice that the SuSE thing is one PITA because the openSuSE distribution lacks a lot of tools we require for compiling. Building one gigantic installer for a bunch of distributions would make it somewhat complex and faulty imho because many code has to be used redundancy even if it is one single script. Maintaining the installer does not just include adding some repositories and that's it. 80% of the stuff the installer does is configuring the operating system and required services - this stuff is not what a "normal" installer does. Just downloading, compiling and deploying the Open-Xchange sourcecode whould be far easier, do you suggest such kind of installer to keep it maintainable?
                  The second thing is that you should really read the intention of a installer. As of many changes from OpenSuSE 10.2 to 10.3 the 10.2 installer (which i made) does NOT work on 10.3 - you're free to try it but i wrote 10.2 for a reason, otherwise it'll be 10.x.
                  You're very welcome to write some generic installer which handles every distribution without problems and magically fixes lack of distribution packages and configuration.

However, i just want to remember the intention of the installer - making the installation easier and showing how to do it. There was no commitment to support any and every platform available nor releasing this piece of software as the default way to install Open-Xchange. It works fine on Debian and Ubuntu and this covers about 70% of the distributions out there. I am not willing to fight discussions and maintain all the other 30%. Debian is as good as any other Operating system (maybe much better) and i don't see any cause why not using this as a platform for Open-Xchange. To prevent anybody telling "OX is platform-dependend and only works on Debian" - it does work on a lot more platforms than installers are available for. I even got it running on Windows, MacOS and BSD, but that's no process which can be handled by a installer, it depends on knowledge and the intention to learn and understand how a system works and what requirements need to be fulfilled. If somebody is interested to get a look at it - please install ubuntu or debian, it's really simple and consumes less time than installing any other distribution. If you like to use your preferred distribution i imply that you're already knowing anything about it and it should be no problem to do a custom configuration.

The cause why the debian installer contains a different amount of jar files simply is that the other files will be installed from your distribution repository. Anyway - i uploaded the required jar files to a separate directory. Please keep in mind those jar files contain some packages taken from the debian repository and may differ from the ones originally maintained by the single projects releases.

Greetings
                  Last edited by Martin Heiland; 12-22-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply. I want to clarify one of my statements - I thought that it should be clear what I did mean: With "I believe that it would be better to provide one single script for all distributions" I did not mean - of course - that this installer should support "any and every platform" and that you should "maintain all the other 30%" of distributions. With "all distributions" I meant all supported distributions until today - that means one installer for 3 distributions so far.

When you say that these 3 installers are so different that it makes no sense to unify them - OK, I didn't expect that. At least the option for the HEAD and BF branch would be present in all 3 distributions with one installer - this option should really be distribution-independent.

I found the script for 10.3. Thanks to the provider. I will try it.

Comment

Thanks, but maybe you better can try the new version. It is far from perfect yet, but it is better than the old 10.3 installer. The imap SSL certifiacte for example has to be created by hand and a lot of questions still have to be answered during the installation. I will try to fix this the oncoming days, but it takes more time than I expected. (Use the bugfix/stable part of the installer, by the way.)
                      I also want to include munin, but by now it is not clear why I cannot get it working on my machine.

Edit:
                      I cannot upload the new files right now. I'm too lazy to find out what is going wrong, it's Christmas. Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow it will be solved.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-25-2007, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Hi there,

sorry if this is a rather stupid question and I overread something in this forum or somewhere else but an answer would be very nice...
                        I am currently facing the same problem as stated in this thread, I can't properly run the install script as there is no build.xml in CVS HEAD. I read somewhere else in this forum that there is a "switch" implemented in the install script which can be used to install from a different branch instead of using the HEAD revision. Unfortunately I don't know which variable has to be changed in the script to do so. I guess, adding a parameter to the CVS_URL variable would do the trick but neither do I know how this paramter should look like nor do I know which version I could use to create a stable production environment.
                        Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Comment

Originally posted by hief View Post
                          I read somewhere else in this forum that there is a "switch" implemented in the install script which can be used to install from a different branch instead of using the HEAD revision.
                          This is a feature of the install script. I haven't tried it myself but the script contains the following code that tells me that you get asked what branch you would like to choose as source:
                          Code:
                          ask_branch(){
                            whiptail --backtitle "$BTITLE" \
                                     --menu "The Open-Xchange CVS server contains several \"branches\". Those branches are different states of development. The \"HEAD\" is the latest, bleeding-edge branch which contains sourcecode which is currently under development. The so called \"Bugfix branch\" contains the most stable sourcecode but lacks latest features. Please select which branch you like to use, HEAD is primarily intended for developers and may not build without manual interaction. The \"bf_6_4\" branch is the current stable release and is intended for non-development environments that rely on stable software." 20 75 3 1 "HEAD branch (unstable)" 2 "Bugfix branch (stable)" 3 "abort installation" "$@" 2>menu_var$CURRENTDATE
                          René

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I should have taken a look at the installers for the other distributions. I need the Ubuntu Dapper script and the current version does not have the feature implemented. But I'll just copy the code to fit for my needs...

Comment

update existing setup

hi
                              as far as i see i have an 6.4.1 installed with a lot of bugs in the dav-export. 6.4.2 should be out as i read somewhere but did not find any release notes to this release.

anyway. as updating of an existing setup is not implemented in this very helpful script uptonow, what do i need to do when i'd like to update? i did not find any update-howto or release notes that might cover this topic?

Comment

A guide for updating would be useful

Comment

Working...
                                X